Replacing Bell Fibe Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-08 11:28:42
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I am currently a Bell Fibe customer in Toronto ON Canada and want to replace their modem/router entirely with my new TP-Link ER605.
Can someone point me to a URL which gives the feature and modes I need to set on both the WAN and LAN ports?
My Bell service includes IP-TV. From my reading I believe I need to:

a. know my PPoE credentials
b. use a Ethernet <-> SPF adapter on the WAN port
c. turn on VLAN tagging on at least the WAN port (34, 35, 36)
d. turn no IGMP snooping on the WAN port

Russell Sutherland russ@quist.ca
Options
4 Reply
Re:Replacing Bell Fibe Router
2023-07-09 02:47:45

@Quist 

Hey Russell...I have done this but it only works with the HomeHub 3000 which has a removable ONT in SFP for factor.  I use a TPlink SFP to GigE media converter which is about $40 on Amazon.ca

I just configure the WAN port as PPPoE with the b1 account and password.  Then enable the IPTV feature to map your internet data to VLAN 35.

If you have a HH4000 or Gigahub then your only option is to connect the TPlink router's WAN to a LAN port of the Bell router and again configure it for PPPoE with your b1 credentials...OR beg Bell to come back and replace with a HH3000....but your max speed will be logically 1G because that is the HH3000's port limit and the order desk will lose their mind if you try to order a more capable package.

HTH

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-07-09 12:44:26

@d0ugmac1  Thanks! I have the HomeHub 3000 so that should be fine. So I just need to add one VLAN to the WAN port to allow IPTV? Or are there other VLANs (34,36) and do I need to add them as well to the LAN ports?

Options
2023-07-09 18:22:52 - last edited 2023-07-09 18:25:39

Unless you have Bell TV boxes or the home phone VOIP service you don't need to. However there is no harm in configuring those other VLANS...you probably just won't use them.

Do not add those IPTV VLANs to the LAN ports...there be dragons.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-07-09 20:39:40

@d0ugmac1 Many thanks. I shall try the connectivity first without any new VLANs

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 951

Replies: 4

Related Articles