ER7212PC Firmware news and hostnames + ACL

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-10 06:16:55 - last edited 2023-07-17 01:04:03
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.3

Hi @ all,

Im completely new to Omada, it's up and running but some things stagger me:

1) Why is the Controller Software on the ER7212PC is so far behind the other releases? Will that change, or would it be better to get an OC200 and ER7206 to be more up do date?

2) Are there any news to the hostnames-issue? my old fritz.box was able to do something simple... Or is there no hope that this basic feature will be added?

3) Is there anywhere a goog guide to ACLs? I try to set them correctly, but somehow very strange things happen (I block VLAN 1 to VLAN2, suddenly VLAN3 cant connect to VLAN2 as well)

On the ER7212PC, do you know, what the PVID is used for?

Thank you, this whole topic is a bit overwhelming ;)

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER7212PC Firmware news and hostnames + ACL-Solution
2023-07-13 01:05:45 - last edited 2023-07-17 01:04:03

@RiverRaid 

RiverRaid wrote

@Tedd404 

Thank you for the answer!

1) No, I would'nt need the latest stuff, but at the moment is neither able for Wireguard, nor is stateful ACL possible on my ER7212PC .

Thats somehow a bit of a dealbreaker. To be honest, if i knew that before I wouldn't have bought it.. Especially the ACL. Coming from Ubiquiti (smaller setup), something as allowing VLAN1 to connect to VLAN2 but deny VLAN2 to VLAN1 is a very basic feature.

As i read on the forums, its available in the newer versions but not on the ER7212PC ... So i can only hope that there will be an update or buy new equipment... I was hoping that TP-Link was either confirming or denying that this basic features will be brought to the ER7212PC .

2) Yes, something basic like talking to my pihole with the hostname pihole, the DS512 with hostname synology etc. My previous setup was built on the hostnames, because it was easier and if (even if configured as static in the router) some device received a new ip it wasn't a problem. My whole houseautomation was based on this principle. Now i changed everything to IP which works also fine, but I'm really disappointet that such a basic feature isn't available. Even the cheapest devices are able for hostnames...

3) Thank you for the Links! In general, i have no problems understanding ACLs, but I  dind't knew that stateful isn't possible (yet?), so I had a big confusion there because it didn't work as expected. Now as i know the restrictions the encountered problems make sense...

The unidirectional ACL was once introduced: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3309/

Did you try it?

Hostname. i really suggest you read the user guide before getting "disappointed". there are features hidden in the controller. 467 pages of user guide is helpful but nobody on the forum nor my clients read them.

as far as I know, it is not fully stateful. what you have right now is like this. what do you define stateful? I learn that previously, this feature was never there.

anyway, i am sending pics to you from the latest gen of the controller. probably not available on yours as it is a 3-in-1 device. you gotta wait for firmware updates to have support for them. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-14 03:09:42 - last edited 2023-07-17 01:04:09

@RiverRaid 

yeah, you gotta wait for the future update. New Firmware Get the Latest Firmware Releases for Omada Routers Here - Subscribe for Updates

yup, we were talking about different things. 

that'll be mDNS. it was supported a long time ago. not sure if your "obsolete" firmware does that.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:ER7212PC Firmware news and hostnames + ACL
2023-07-11 02:01:55

@RiverRaid 

RiverRaid wrote

Hi @ all,

Im completely new to Omada, it's up and running but some things stagger me:

1) Why is the Controller Software on the ER7212PC is so far behind the other releases? Will that change, or would it be better to get an OC200 and ER7206 to be more up do date?

2) Are there any news to the hostnames-issue? my old fritz.box was able to do something simple... Or is there no hope that this basic feature will be added?

3) Is there anywhere a goog guide to ACLs? I try to set them correctly, but somehow very strange things happen (I block VLAN 1 to VLAN2, suddenly VLAN3 cant connect to VLAN2 as well)

On the ER7212PC, do you know, what the PVID is used for?

Thank you, this whole topic is a bit overwhelming ;)

1) so as far as i know, this is a product mainly for certain users. it targets people who using it for business and static environments. i mean they seek stability than up to date. if you want to chase the firmware update, get a controller or use the software controller. software always gets updated first and its beta comes out first. 

beta = be fine with bugs and provide feedback. 

2) wdym? be specific. like router.asus.com to login your router in this way?

3) if you are new to the vlan, you should really dig in their guide first. this is never a newbie-should-touch feature. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2149/

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3091/

articles to find, and you can read the user guide firstly. 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/omada-software-controller/#FAQs

Options
2023-07-12 10:24:50

@Tedd404 

1) No, I would'nt need the latest stuff, but at the moment is neither able for Wireguard, nor is stateful ACL possible on my ER7212PC .

Thats somehow a bit of a dealbreaker. To be honest, if i knew that before I wouldn't have bought it.. Especially the ACL. Coming from Ubiquiti (smaller setup), something as allowing VLAN1 to connect to VLAN2 but deny VLAN2 to VLAN1 is a very basic feature.

As i read on the forums, its available in the newer versions but not on the ER7212PC ... So i can only hope that there will be an update or buy new equipment... I was hoping that TP-Link was either confirming or denying that this basic features will be brought to the ER7212PC .

2) Yes, something basic like talking to my pihole with the hostname pihole, the DS512 with hostname synology etc. My previous setup was built on the hostnames, because it was easier and if (even if configured as static in the router) some device received a new ip it wasn't a problem. My whole houseautomation was based on this principle. Now i changed everything to IP which works also fine, but I'm really disappointet that such a basic feature isn't available. Even the cheapest devices are able for hostnames...

3) Thank you for the Links! In general, i have no problems understanding ACLs, but I  dind't knew that stateful isn't possible (yet?), so I had a big confusion there because it didn't work as expected. Now as i know the restrictions the encountered problems make sense...

Options
2023-07-13 01:05:45 - last edited 2023-07-17 01:04:03

@RiverRaid 

RiverRaid wrote

@Tedd404 

The unidirectional ACL was once introduced: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/3309/

Did you try it?

Hostname. i really suggest you read the user guide before getting "disappointed". there are features hidden in the controller. 467 pages of user guide is helpful but nobody on the forum nor my clients read them.

as far as I know, it is not fully stateful. what you have right now is like this. what do you define stateful? I learn that previously, this feature was never there.

anyway, i am sending pics to you from the latest gen of the controller. probably not available on yours as it is a 3-in-1 device. you gotta wait for firmware updates to have support for them. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-13 11:09:02

@Tedd404 

Thank you :)

Regarding the stateful: Thats exactly the point... at the Moment it is not possible with my ER7217PC :(

Only with the ER7206 ...

And regarding the hostnames:

I havn't found any information regarding that in the manual.

Maybe we are talking about 2 different things?

I want to reach my clients via the hostname.

Example: http://pihole should get me the Web-Interface from Pihole. http://syn-server the webinterface from my synology and so on.

At the moment I have to use the IPs (http://192.168.xx.xx) to reach them, because as far as I know the hostnames are not possible .

So maybe I'm allowed to be a bit disappointed ;)

Best Regards

Options
2023-07-14 03:09:42 - last edited 2023-07-17 01:04:09

@RiverRaid 

yeah, you gotta wait for the future update. New Firmware Get the Latest Firmware Releases for Omada Routers Here - Subscribe for Updates

yup, we were talking about different things. 

that'll be mDNS. it was supported a long time ago. not sure if your "obsolete" firmware does that.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-07-14 14:06:47

@Tedd404 

Thank you for all the help!

I finally dropped the ER7212PC and got me an ER7206 + OC200 instead. Now everything is working as suspected smiley

Options
2023-07-17 01:05:30

@RiverRaid 

Great to know that. wink

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 663

Replies: 7

Related Articles