ROUTER ER605 network switching between WAN->WAN/LAN1 does not work.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-15 07:50:16
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 20220106 Rel.56391

The problem is FAILOVER and LOAD BALANCING not working correctly.

Three providers enter my router - WAN, WAN / LAN1, WAN / LAN2. I include in LOADBALANCING -> ENABLE LOAD BALANCING only. In Link Backup, I set the condition that WAN is Primary, WAN / LAN1 - Secondary, and I specify the rule (Failover(Enable backup link when any primary WAN fails).)

Then I prescribe in Online Detection DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

Now the biggest problem. At the enterprise people work through VPN - and they are connected to RDP. When LOADBALANCING is enabled, they are constantly thrown out due to the jumping IP address. Online banking in my country (Ukraine) reacts in the same way.

I want to implement switching between networks and only. i.e. Failover. If WAN 1 - the Internet is gone, then WAN / LAN1 is connected and so on.

If I turn off LOADBALANCING and everything else and leave only connected WANs, then the network still jumps from one to another and I do not get a stable Internet connection.

Please help me, as I have frequent network outages.

Options
1 Reply
Re:ROUTER ER605 network switching between WAN->WAN/LAN1 does not work.
2023-07-17 03:32:47 - last edited 2023-07-17 03:39:05

Hi @Yaros_lav 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Regarding the issue you have, please understand the fact first. Online detection is the only determinant of whether the router should switch to a backup WAN or not. i.e. If your WAN can still ping the 8.8.8.8, then you are not going to be switched to the backup WAN.

So, what you should troubleshoot is whether your WAN is literally offline. If it is still available and can ping the 8.8.8.8, and the router still gets replies from Google, then it won't switch. If it is just congestion, but ping still works, then it stays on (primary) WAN. There's nothing we can do to fix it.

(Switching to the backup WAN may take a few seconds or up to a minute. The preset time cannot be changed at this moment.)

About the "jumping IP addresses", that's how the load balancing works. You did not include the WAN/LAN 2 into the secondary (backup) WAN, then it is in active use and the router will balance the traffic between the primary and this WAN/LAN 2, of course.

If you don't want this and want to fix this, you can use policy routing to specify the traffic where it is supposed to flow. Destine your RDP connection to one of the WANs.

(BTW, are you sure RDP is disconnecting because of load balancing? As the RDP is using TCP and should not be disconnected if your session is made)

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options