How to Upgrade/Downgrade Omada Routers

2023-07-26 05:47:19 - last edited 2024-02-20 05:51:05

Background:

This post provides a comprehensive guide on how to upgrade or downgrade the firmware version of Omada Gateways(Routers). We hope that this information proves helpful to those who may need it.

Notice:

• We recommend the latest Chrome/Firefox for firmware upgrade/downgrade. Incognito/Private mode is recommended for firmware upgrade/downgrade.
  • We recommend you perform any upgrade/downgrade during maintenance time and physically stay with the target device.
  • The firmware downgrade shares the same process as the upgrade. The downgrade and upgrade of the firmware will not erase the settings on your router. But, if you skip too many versions, there is a possibility that your settings will be lost.
  • Newly added features by firmware update will be lost after the downgrade. The same thing happens to the parameters you have set for them.
  • For any firmware upgrade, please ensure that you have stable power to the target device and we recommend you use a direct Ethernet connection to the target device. Any disconnection may cause system damage to the device. If your device is bricked, please refer to the recovery mode: How to use the Emergency Mode to recover the firmware for Omada Gateways

Configuration Steps:

Upgrade/Downgrade in Standalone Mode:

Step 1  Download the firmware file

• Go to the website https://www.tp-link.com and search for your Omada Gateway model.

• Download the proper firmware file on the support page of the gateway.

• Unzip/extract your firmware from the compressed folder. You may need software such as WinZIP or WinRAR to extract the firmware file to a folder.

Step 2  Access Omada Gateway(router) web management interface

• Enter the IP address of your router, 192.168.0.1 on the web browser and enter.
  • Enter the username and password of your router to log in. If your router is a brand new one or reset, use the default username and password that are both admin.

Note:

• If you have trouble accessing the page, please use Incognito Mode (Chrome) or Private Browsing (Firefox) and double-check your connection.
  • If you have changed the IP address of the router, please find it by using ipconfig in Command Prompt. Default gateway is usually the IP address of the admin web

Step 3  Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade

• Go to System Tools > Management > Firmware Upgrade

• Click Browse and look for the firmware that you are going to upgrade/downgrade. Select and Open the BIN file. The file will be uploaded to the router.

• Then, your firmware upgrade begins. During the upgrade/downgrade, please do not unplug the power cable or Ethernet cable on the router. Do not refresh the web page. After the upgrade, the router will automatically reboot and get back to work.

Upgrade/Downgrade in Controller Mode:

Sometimes, your router cannot be adopted by the Omada Controller due to adaptability, please refer to the upgrade/downgrade guide above in standalone mode. If the router was adopted before and now shows up as disconnected, you can reset the router and perform the downgrade by following the steps above. Related settings will remain on the Controller as long as you don’t reset the controller.

Step 1  Download the firmware file

• Go to the website https://www.tp-link.com and search for your Omada Gateway model.

• Download the proper firmware file on the support page of the gateway.

• Unzip/extract your firmware from the compressed folder. You may need software such as WinZIP or WinRAR to extract the firmware file to a folder.

Step 2  Access Omada Controller web management interface

• Enter the IP address of your controller. Or launch it from your controller-installed computer.

Note:

• If you have trouble accessing the page, please use Incognito Mode (Chrome) or Private Browsing (Firefox) and double-check your connection.
  • There are several formats of controller IP, please identify them according to your situation:
    • https://localhost:8043/
    • https://127.0.0.1:8043/
    • https://target_computer_ip:8043/
    • https://hardware_controller_ip

Step 3  Firmware Upgrade/Downgrade

• Click the Devices tab, and click your target device. On the page of Config, scroll down and find the Manage Device section.

• In Custom Upgrade, click Browse to look for the firmware that you are going to upgrade/downgrade. Select and Open the BIN file.

• Then, your firmware upgrade begins. During the upgrade/downgrade, please do not unplug the power cable or Ethernet cable on the router. Do not refresh the web page. After the upgrade, the router will automatically reboot and get back to work.

Update Log:

Jan 16th, 2024:

Update the format.

Recommended Threads:

Get the Latest Firmware Releases for Omada Routers Here - Subscribe for Updates

Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here - Subscribe for Updates

• If this was helpful, welcome to give us Kudos by clicking the upward triangle below.
  • If there is anything unclear in this solution post, please feel free to comment below.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have other off-topic issues to report? 

Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to Upgrade/Downgrade Omada Gateways
2024-02-13 11:23:03 - last edited 2024-02-13 11:24:35

@Clive_A 

I tried to upgrade my new ER8411 V1.0 and i get error all times, i tried with latest release and with beta firmware and always i get error.

firmware

ER8411v1_un_1.2.0_20240112-rel46189_up_2024-01-12_13.01.36.bin

I get "Upgrading ER8411 failed because the upgrade file is invalid. Please select a correct file."

What i can do ? 

And also in Omada Controller no have new firmware available for upgrade my ER8411

Options
2024-02-14 08:36:56

Hi @est3ban129 

est3ban129 wrote

@Clive_A 

I tried to upgrade my new ER8411 V1.0 and i get error all times, i tried with latest release and with beta firmware and always i get error.

ER8411v1_un_1.2.0_20240112-rel46189_up_2024-01-12_13.01.36.bin

I get "Upgrading ER8411 failed because the upgrade file is invalid. Please select a correct file."

What i can do ? 

And also in Omada Controller no have new firmware available for upgrade my ER8411

1. Take a look at the release note. Certian firmware requires prerequisite version. You cannot skip all the old firmware and get to the latest.

2. Check if your controller is 64-bit. If it is not 64-bit, you should unistall and upgrade to 64-bit.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/653234

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago

@est3ban129 

Hello

If I remember well the ER8411 can't be updated from/within Omada controller if the controller didn't receive the the fix from tplink to manage large file firmware.

You will need to reset to factory default the ER8411(forget it from the controller) and update it in standalone web interface, then re-adopt it.

Good luck.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 1309

Replies: 3

Related Articles