Local DNS Server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Local DNS Server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Local DNS Server
Local DNS Server
2023-08-06 10:02:47 - last edited 2023-08-08 05:46:04
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello

I have TPLink ER605v1. I have an in-house DNS server that I use. I need to use my local IP settings by disabling get DNS automatically to hardcoded DNS in Router's WAN settings.

I get the following error:

"This IP conflicts with the LAN IP subnet. To use this DNS server, set it at DHCP Server".

Options
2 Reply
Re:Local DNS Server
2023-08-06 12:19:19

@Amds 

You can't use the internal DNS server on for the WAN Port DNS.

You enter the Local DNS Server on the VLAN DNS section.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
Re:Local DNS Server
2023-08-07 03:06:31 - last edited 2023-08-07 03:10:18

Hi @Amds 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I got you that you want to use the DNS server for filter or other purposes. Yet you cannot use that like @KimcheeGUN said.

But if you insist use that, you can consider port forwarding port 53 for that DNS server. In the end, still strongly recommend you use a public one on the secondary. Your DNS server is not a root DNS server which means it's not fully capable of resolving all domains unless your hosted DNS server is updating with one of them.

If you open the port, the DNS server IP would be your WAN IP and each DNS query will be sent to your router and server. This could add up the load of the server/router. So, at your discretion.

Another fact that you should know is that your DNS query is first sent to the Computer DNS(LAN DNS), then to WAN DNS if the LAN DNS cannot resolve it.

LTT - What is the difference between the DNS setting in LAN and WAN on a router

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 258

Replies: 2

Related Articles