ER7212PC - Airplay & MDNS `

2023-08-14 11:48:05 - last edited 2024-01-03 01:58:01
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4

Hi,

I have 2 x VLAN - General (VLAN - 101) & IOT (VLAN - 103). My TVs are all in the IOT segment and I can't airplay from devices in General to IOT segment.

I have tried enabled mDNS services but that does not work. I have also disabled all ACL but that does not work either. Am I doing something wrong?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER7212PC - Airplay & MDNS `-Solution
2024-01-03 01:57:58 - last edited 2024-01-03 01:58:01

Anyone who reads this and is curious about the result of the ticket,

OP set up ACL and it blocks the mDNS. That's the reason. It has nothing to do with the mDNS feature itself.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER7212PC - Airplay & MDNS `-Solution
2024-01-24 07:06:29 - last edited 2024-01-30 06:23:16

Hi @Markus123 

Markus123 wrote

@Clive_A Thanks for your support once again! And for forwarding the request for the possibility to add more than 32 characters as Bonjour Service.

Because of Sonos, I checked again. And it does not work with the Windows Application. Here are all the settings:

WLAN "Omada Main" VLAN 20

WLAN "Omada Admin" VLAN 11

Network "Admin WLAN" VLAN 11

Network "Main" VLAN 20

My Sonos devices are in Network "Omada Main" and therefore in Network "Main".

No ACL's whatsoever:

Here the Bonjour Service for Sonos:

Here the mDNS AP settings:

If Laptop is connected to WLAN "Omada Admin" and therefore in Network "Admin WLAN" the Windows Sonos App does not find the Sonos system:

If Laptop is connected to WLAN "Omada Main" and therefore in Network "Main" (same as the Sonos devices) the Windows Sonos App finds the Sonos system without any problem:

=> Apparently something is missing... 

Important to know: The Android cellphones indeed do work! If Android cellphone is connected to "Omada Admin" WLAN it does find the Sonos system on "Main" Network. So apparently the Windows app is using different discovery than the Android cellphone. My problem: Actually I mostly use Sonos through a Smart Home Hub called "Homey". And this Smart Home Hub also cannot find Sonos if connected to different VLANs. So probably it uses the same discovery technique than the Windows App.

=> So if you could please ask your engineers if they could determine this discovery process? I wiresharked myself and could not find anything of use.. Thank you very much in advance!

Edit: If Android phone is connected to different VLAN it does find the Sonos system, but reproducable only after more or less 5 seconds. If on the same VLAN it takes maybe 1 second. So maybe the initial attempt of discovering the Sonos system on the android app is the same that fails for the Windows App and the Smart Home Hub "Homey" but does have a fallback discovery that seems to work. So actually it would fall through the wife approval if she has to wait 5 instead of 1 seconds. So I hope there's a better way that also works with windows and "Homey" and makes the discovery with a normal speed for android.

If the Android works, so it means the mDNS is working. So you are capable of the Wireshark and you may try to do this and test your Android.

It takes a second to see because it is broadcast not only in this VLAN but all. Expected.

At least I can tell you that mDNS should work and it is not a problem with the mDNS.

And next to the question about the discovery process. This is beyond our job because if you Wireshark and you find nothing about the Sonos and its mDNS, it means it is not an mDNS-based service.

So, use the Process Hacker and check the software port. It mainly uses 6969 and 64039 for discovery or related services. At least, that's what I find.

Update:

Turn on IGMP in LAN settings. Both VLAN interfaces.

In addition, you can try it. But I don't think it might help in SSDP in LAN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
30 Reply
Re:ER7212PC - Airplay & MDNS `
2023-08-15 01:44:52

Hi @Tapwater 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Try the gateway mDNS instead of AP. If that does not work. then you should check the mDSN type of your TV.

These are pre-built services in mDNS. What type of service does your TV use? You probably gotta set the mDNS yourself to suit your TV.

Options
2023-08-15 02:08:06

@Clive_A 

I am trying to setup Airplay service between the TV and client laptop/mobile devices. If the client & TV is on the same vLAN, there is no issue to detect the mDNS services but if they are in different vlan, nothing can be detected and I have also disabled all ACL on ER7212PC. 

Please advise if there is any other configuration to be done.

Options
2023-08-15 05:46:41

Hi @Tapwater 

Configuring mDNS Repeater is supposed to fix the issue. mDNS is helping discover across VLAN. I still think it could be a config issue. Can you try this article?

Options
2023-08-15 16:54:23

Hi  @Clive_A ,

I have configured based on the provided link prior to posting to the forum. I have tried AP & Gateway settings and various combination of service & client network/vlan. None of it work for me. 

Options
2023-08-16 01:25:49

Hi @Tapwater 

Did the AirPlay work before?

If you put them in the same VLAN, is it possible to discover it by AirPlay?

Can you be certain that is AirPlay protocol?

Is your firmware 1.0.4 beta for your ER7212PC?

Options
2023-08-16 06:41:58

@Clive_A 

Firmware - 1.0.4 Build 20230724 Rel.49286

Below are the testing that I have done which brings me to the conclusion where the issue is with ER7212PC,

Client - iPhone 14

Server - Samsung TV 

Service - Airplay

Scenario 1

Client & Server at vLAN 103.

Airplay working.

mDNS browser can detect protocol for streaming of audio/video content - _airplay_tcp

Scenario 2

Client at vLAN 101

Server at vLAN 103.

Airplay not working.

mDNS browser CANNOT detect anything.

mDNS enabled at Gateway for Airplay service. Service Network - ALL. Client Network - ALL.

All network security ACL is disabled.

Options
2023-08-16 08:49:38

Hi @Tapwater 

Tapwater wrote

@Clive_A 

Firmware - 1.0.4 Build 20230724 Rel.49286

Below are the testing that I have done which brings me to the conclusion where the issue is with ER7212PC,

Client - iPhone 14

Server - Samsung TV 

Service - Airplay

Scenario 1

Client & Server at vLAN 103.

Airplay working.

mDNS browser can detect protocol for streaming of audio/video content - _airplay_tcp

Scenario 2

Client at vLAN 101

Server at vLAN 103.

Airplay not working.

mDNS browser CANNOT detect anything.

mDNS enabled at Gateway for Airplay service. Service Network - ALL. Client Network - ALL.

All network security ACL is disabled.

In my investigation, I found out that AirPlay seems to be the mDNS server. Can you set the Client as VLAN 103 TV, and Server as the VLAN 101 iPhone?

Options
2023-08-16 09:15:44 - last edited 2023-08-16 09:22:18

@Clive_A 

I am not sure if your investigation involved any form of testing in your environment but to avoid further delay, I created all of the following rules and I supposed that cover all of the possible combination.

Options
2023-08-16 09:16:58

Hi @Tapwater 

Yes, please. Because I found the Wireshark capture from the Internet which indicates that the AirPlay seems to send mDNS making me think could be wrong with that.

Options
2023-08-16 09:45:09

@Clive_A 

I have attached the screenshot of all the rules in place. Hopefully that should cover all possible use case and combination. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1666

Replies: 30

Related Articles