Extending a network (wireless bridge - vlans)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-19 20:28:59 - last edited 2023-08-21 08:26:51

What hardware/model can be used to extend a network and support multiple VLANs via wireless, my current setup looks something like this:

I already have the layer 2 switches and router just need the access point to make the wireless bridge, I tried already with Ubiquiti but it didn't work.

Basically, I want to have a layer 2 switch connected to the main network via wireless,  so that the computers connected to the switch can use the LAN and the VLANs, a powerline works but I am getting < 300mbps, with normal basic AP I get ~ 2.5GB but I only see the LAN not VLANS, and in my case I need both.

Any advice on what equipment would support this scenario?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Extending a network (wireless bridge - vlans)
2023-08-21 08:31:03

@nbari 

Hi, I thought EAP is OK, and here is a very similar topology.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-08-21 10:06:49

@Virgo Hi, I don't want multiple SSIDs or extend wifi, I only need to bridge to locations via wireless but for indoors, basically I need that the AP peer using their own channel (not any SSID), ORBI from Netgear  do this but unfortunately doesn't support VLANS, Ubituity has the Nanobeam or similar but they need a string line of sight, but it is something that in may case doesn't apply since it is for indoors because of this wondering what from TP-LINK could work for this use case.

Options
2023-08-22 02:33:43

@nbari 

EAP supports VLAN-Passthrough, but wireless bridge needs the mesh feature which needs to add a controller in the network, maybe you can consider the CPE pharos product which supports vlan-passthrough either.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 359

Replies: 3

Related Articles