[mdns] SMB between windows machines doesn't work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-29 17:29:40 - last edited 2023-09-06 06:44:08
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello and thank you in advance.

I have created an mDNS rule to enable access from my main LAN (192.168.0.1/24) to my office VLAN (192.168.20.1/24) and obviously SMB is enabled in the Bonjour Service.

After spending hours configuring the Windows firewall settings, I am now able to ping the Windows machines (located in the office VLAN) from my Windows PC in the main LAN, but I can't access to my smb folder. 

I can successfully access my Epson printer (https) and ping every device in my office VLAN from my main LAN. However, it seems that the issue may lie with the Windows machines themselves.

Do you have any ideas on how I can access shared folders on my office VLAN from my main LAN?

I have created ACL rules to permit access from the main VLAN to the office VLAN and to restrict the office VLAN's access to other VLANs. Could this possibly be the source of the problem?

Thank you very much!

ER605 v1.0 

Firmware 1.3.0

EDIT: the office vlan has the following DHCP Range 192.168.20.100 - 192.168.20.200

The two windows machine are outside this range (192.168.20.98 and 192.168.20.99)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[mdns] SMB between windows machines doesn't work -Solution
2023-08-31 08:33:32 - last edited 2023-09-06 06:44:08

Hi @umbertodm 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

umbertodm wrote

@Tedd404 

After set mdns my windows pc (192.168.0.110) can access trough smb (windows file explorer) to my Qnap NAS (192.168.20.137) that's why I thought the prolbem was in the other two windows machine (192.168.20.98 and 192.168.20.99).

I am not sure about the Windows SMB service. Yes, we do have a preset about SMB. Our internal shared platform is hosted by a Windows Server. But I cannot capture the mDNS about it. Probably I should capture at the ingress port.

Is this working fine now? For extra reference, Troubleshooting - mDNS Repeater on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

Would be helpful if you could share more knowledge about that.

Update: The issue is not caused by the Omada router. If you face similar issues, please use the error code and contact MS support or seek help on the MS forum.

Typically, if this is an mDNS issue, you should fail to access from the Windows PC to the NAS. Or fail to discover the NAS by network map. Only when you doing a cross-network discovery, and you fail to discover the other device, that's a typical symptom of mDNS.

You may refer to the troubleshooting link above if you face an mDNS issue.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:[mdns] SMB between windows machines doesn't work
2023-08-30 03:14:21

@umbertodm 

are you sure that windows smb service is using mDNS?????

i use wireshark and I found nothing about it. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-30 09:37:48

@Tedd404 

Thank you for your reply.

No, I'm not sure, I just saw smb in the Bonjour services and I thought it could work.

Options
2023-08-30 09:55:50

@umbertodm 

without acl, without vlan interface, can you access the file server? i was once having a trouble with the windows SMB. i set up my NAS with SMB. i also spent hours on user privilege. was facing an issue that I had no authority to access it. you should rule that out. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-08-30 10:15:01

@Tedd404 

After set mdns my windows pc (192.168.0.110) can access trough smb (windows file explorer) to my Qnap NAS (192.168.20.137) that's why I thought the prolbem was in the other two windows machine (192.168.20.98 and 192.168.20.99).

Options
Re:[mdns] SMB between windows machines doesn't work -Solution
2023-08-31 08:33:32 - last edited 2023-09-06 06:44:08

Hi @umbertodm 

umbertodm wrote

@Tedd404 

I am not sure about the Windows SMB service. Yes, we do have a preset about SMB. Our internal shared platform is hosted by a Windows Server. But I cannot capture the mDNS about it. Probably I should capture at the ingress port.

Is this working fine now? For extra reference, Troubleshooting - mDNS Repeater on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

Would be helpful if you could share more knowledge about that.

Update: The issue is not caused by the Omada router. If you face similar issues, please use the error code and contact MS support or seek help on the MS forum.

Typically, if this is an mDNS issue, you should fail to access from the Windows PC to the NAS. Or fail to discover the NAS by network map. Only when you doing a cross-network discovery, and you fail to discover the other device, that's a typical symptom of mDNS.

You may refer to the troubleshooting link above if you face an mDNS issue.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-08-31 09:20:53

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps I didn't explain the issue clearly.

My Windows PC on the main LAN (192.168.0.110) can access the Qnap NAS (192.168.20.137) through the file explorer, indicating that the SMB connection works well via mDNS.

However, I am unable to access other computers (192.168.20.98) on the 192.168.20.1/24 VLAN via SMB from the same Windows PC, even though I can successfully ping them.

Options
2023-08-31 09:46:04

Hi @umbertodm 

Thanks for the updated message.

If so, that should be an issue with the parameters on your Windows. Not a problem with the mDNS on the router.

Options
2023-09-05 03:21:07

Hi @umbertodm 

Any update on this problem?

Options
2023-09-05 06:45:42

@Clive_A 

Unfortunately I didn't solve the problem. 

I tried a lot of setting on the Windows pc I cannot access to, but I can't found enough on internet.

Options
2023-09-05 06:49:46 - last edited 2023-09-05 06:54:43

Hi @umbertodm 

You probably gonna find this and add the user account to that computer.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 708

Replies: 12

Related Articles