DS-Lite (Dual Stak Lite) Support

2023-09-13 18:46:48 - last edited a week ago
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Hello,

Most of the internet providers in Germany are only using a public ipv6 addrees and are tunneling all the ipv4 traffic through a provider gateway (AFTR). (Carrier NAT IPv4.)

In the TP-Link router ER707-M2 I have found no option to configure such a DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) connection.

I have found other threds in the community here which have exactly the same issue with other business routers

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/537980

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/547340

I was a little bit surprised that this feature is only available in TP-Link consumer routers but not in the business routers.

For a consumer router I have found the following FAQ

https://www.tp-link.com/no/support/faq/2483/

This feature request was created based on that thread

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/621734

Please implement that feature also for the business routers.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DS-Lite (Dual Stak Lite) Support-Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi all,

This feature was reported to the dev last year and I got news that this is scheduled to be released in V5.15.X.

When new features are released for a controller, they require the corresponding firmware update to function properly. If you've upgraded the controller but don't see the new features, please be patient and wait for the adapted firmware to become available.

As a reminder, we are not able to give a specific date for a beta or official firmware release. Nor can we guarantee an ETA for the firmware. We recommend you subscribe for the Get the Latest Firmware Releases for Omada Routers Here - Subscribe for Updates.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:DS-Lite (Dual Stak Lite) Support
2023-09-14 02:39:54

Hi @Mikka19 

Thanks for your valuable feedback and post here. This request has been forwarded to the developer team for further evaluation.

You can subscribe to the firmware release thread which is pinned on the related page. Or pay attention to our official website where most releases will show up there very soon.

As a reminder, any request will be evaluated by our developer team before it is officially added to the roadmap. That may take some time before you see a release with this feature. If your requested feature is not on high priority or not reported by many people, it may be delayed for more feedback.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
RE:DS-Lite (Dual Stak Lite) Support
2024-01-04 21:51:10
Options
2024-03-15 21:42:10
Please also add this for ER605
Options
2024-03-21 09:30:46 - last edited 2024-03-21 09:31:38

@Landoval Totally agree: implementation in ER605 would be appreciated. 

Options
a week ago
Also need this for connection with my ER 605 Router and my ISP
Options
Re:DS-Lite (Dual Stack Lite) Support

@Clive_A 

Hello,

I also would ask to for you guys provide DS-Lite support on ER 706W.

AFAIK DS-Lite is a software based addition, so no hardware should be so "obsolete" to not support it.

Even thought ER706W was released last year, DS-Lite has been used by our internet provider for at least three years.

On another router that we used (consumer-grade MR70X v1) it was also impossible to connect to a DS-Lite network, but we used openwrt (yeah, I know, I lost my guarantee and stuff) to bypass the firmware limitation (as the support told us that this function will not be supported, even in the future),

but, at the moment, we would like a solution that would have native support for the ER706W router.

We can set another unix machine to do the job for the router, but we bought the router to handle ALL the network related stuff ( AKA to do it's job ffs ),

and as much as I like to reverse engineer tp-link stuff and implement the company's needs (no, I don't, in case it wasn't obvious),

I'd rather have you guys work it out for all your clients :) . 

Options

Hi @TotoDaDog 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TotoDaDog wrote

@Clive_A 

Hello,

I also would ask to for you guys provide DS-Lite support on ER 706W.

AFAIK DS-Lite is a software based addition, so no hardware should be so "obsolete" to not support it.

Even thought ER706W was released last year, DS-Lite has been used by our internet provider for at least three years.

On another router that we used (consumer-grade MR70X v1) it was also impossible to connect to a DS-Lite network, but we used openwrt to bypass the firmware limitation (as the support told us that this function will not be supported, even in the future),

but, at the moment, we would like a solution that would have native support for the ER706W router.

We can set another unix machine to do the job for the router, but we bought the router to handle ALL the network related stuff,

and as much as I like to reverse engineer tp-link stuff and implement the company's needs (no, I don't, in case it wasn't obvious),

I'd rather have you guys work it out for all your clients :) . 

MR? Is that Mercury?

Huh.. I am afraid that is a home product. I don't think I can use that as market research data in the request report I record.

Oh, and it does NOT support it. I don't see the point of you pointing this model out... I would expect to know if vendors like Mikrotik, Cisco, Huawei, or Meraki. If they support DS-Lite.

TBH, a lot of requests for the home environment are not considered or even if it is considered as a feature overlapped in the business reign is not placed in high priority if it is not target the business solely.

Updated:

Good for this one. It is ETA to be avail on V5.15.X. Just got news from the dev.

I think I reported this once last year. Glad to know this has been put in the request pool and considered.

Options
Re:DS-Lite (Dual Stak Lite) Support-Solution

Hi all,

This feature was reported to the dev last year and I got news that this is scheduled to be released in V5.15.X.

When new features are released for a controller, they require the corresponding firmware update to function properly. If you've upgraded the controller but don't see the new features, please be patient and wait for the adapted firmware to become available.

As a reminder, we are not able to give a specific date for a beta or official firmware release. Nor can we guarantee an ETA for the firmware. We recommend you subscribe for the Get the Latest Firmware Releases for Omada Routers Here - Subscribe for Updates.

Recommended Solution
Options

The thing I was pointing out with the MR was the fact that the firmware did NOT support DS-Lite while using another UNSUPPORTED FIRMWARE supported DS-Lite.

The pointing was: "It's a software addition, come on guys, you can do it !" :))

(As a software dev with experience related to robotics, it sometimes seems like devices are often software-limited and not updated on purpose, this is why we switched to the TP-Link Business grade router ER706, so we don't have to go towards risky open-source implementations to achieve our goal)

Also thank you for the fast reply, we are eagerly waiting for updates regarding the implementation !

Options
a week ago

Hi @TotoDaDog 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TotoDaDog wrote

The thing I was pointing out with the MR was the fact that the firmware did NOT support DS-Lite while using another UNSUPPORTED FIRMWARE supported DS-Lite.

The pointing was: "It's a software addition, come on guys, you can do it !" :))

(As a software dev with experience related to robotics, it sometimes seems like devices are often software-limited and not updated on purpose, this is why we switched the TP-Link Business grade router ER706, so we don't have to go towards risky open-source implementations to achieve our goal)

Also thank you for the fast reply, we are eagerly waiting for updates regarding the implementation !

Yes. I know. So I added some lines about it and corrected it.

But you are a dev as well, and you should know what's the high priority and low. You cannot add everything from your PM or market feedback to the device. Functions are merging every day and you cannot add all of them to the product. And if you say you'd add all of the functions, you still have an order and a roadmap to do it. Many other aspects should be considered instead of priority and schedule. From the software to hardware, a lot.

You should feel the same when a customer from yours says "I want this feature NOW" but, well, it is not listed as a high priority in your to-do box. And some may even be not considered suitable for the product after your evaluation.

Same thing for us. So, it takes time. It is not on purpose but it is not high-priority to the dev's eyes as something else is more urgent than this one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 12

Views: 754

Replies: 12

Voters 12

+ 8 Voters