New Firmware Bricked C340 Camera

2023-09-14 08:39:53 - last edited 2023-11-27 05:50:57
Model: VIGI C340  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.5 Build 230818 Rel.56964n

I have recently bought a VIGI Camera. The C340. I was happy to see a firmware update soon on the VIGI APP (I haven't gotten a NVR yet).

I updated the firmware and after the next reboot, which was a couple of days later, I lost access to the stream. 

The stream is constantly stuck on loading and eventually says error. 

I tried rebooting, resetting but nothing seemed to help. 

I tried to revert the firmware using the VIGI Desktop Application but that errors out as well along with the web interface. 

The firmware page also removed the latest firmware so I am guessing this firmware had some issues. 

Question - How can I get it to work again ? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New Firmware Bricked C340 Camera-Solution
2023-11-24 08:10:52 - last edited 2023-11-27 05:50:43

Hi, This issue was resolved by itself. 

I got on with the support and tried to manually upgrade the firmware again but it failed as well. 

I was away for work a month, came back. Started to troubleshoot but found out it's working fine now. I have no idea how. 

It's the same switch, same firmware (second update 2.0.5 Build 230915 Rel.65007n), same cable. 

I have been testing it for about a week and I haven't faced that issue again.

My conclusion was this could be an issue with the first firmware update (2.0.5 Build 230818 Rel.56964n)

In-case you are facing the same issue (Weird [Transmit]take errno(-1) in the logs) , try updating it to the 2.0.5 Build 230915 Rel.65007n firmware. 

Post updating, reset the camera,  power off the camera for a bit (a couple of hours maybe) and reset the camera again. 

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:New Firmware Bricked C340 Camera
2023-09-15 02:13:45

Hi @darthvader6968 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Did you literally check on the Indian official website for the firmware? I suspect that the Indian website team did not update the site in time. Because you were receiving the push notification of the firmware update.

You can run the firmware update check again. After you revert your firmware, check the firmware update on your VIGI app, if you sync with the VIGI app server and can still see there is a new update, then it is not removed.

If you refer to the global site, you can see the firmware is still there: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/vigi-c340/v1/#Firmware

If you have reverted the firmware and the issue persists, then it does seem to be an issue with your Internet. If you revert multiple times and the issue persists, that rules out the firmware issue.

You should at least check your Internet, is it stable? Is it cellular or WIFI? Is it providing enough speed for the stream? Is the camera connected to a stable network? Is the local stream working fine?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-15 07:06:54

Hi  @Clive_A ,

Thanks for the reply ! Now that you mention it, I can see the firmware on the US website but not on the Indian website

1. I haven't setup a NVR so the firmware update came to my VIGI app on mobile. 
  2. Reverting the firmware via the Desktop VIGI Manager or the web portal fails as well. 
  3. I connected my computer and the camera directly to the TL-SG2428P switch.
  4. The latency between them is <1 ms. 
  5. I am unable to get the stream locally from the camera's portal as well.
  6. The firmware update did not fails in the middle as well. It completed successfully and only after the next reboot, this issue started to occur. 

Is there anything else I can do here ? 

Options
2023-09-15 07:31:21

Hi @darthvader6968 

darthvader6968 wrote

Hi  @Clive_A ,

Thanks for the reply ! Now that you mention it, I can see the firmware on the US website but not on the Indian website

1. I haven't setup a NVR so the firmware update came to my VIGI app on mobile. 
  2. Reverting the firmware via the Desktop VIGI Manager or the web portal fails as well. 
  3. I connected my computer and the camera directly to the TL-SG2428P switch.
  4. The latency between them is <1 ms. 
  5. I am unable to get the stream locally from the camera's portal as well.
  6. The firmware update did not fails in the middle as well. It completed successfully and only after the next reboot, this issue started to occur. 

Is there anything else I can do here ? 

1. If the reverting firmware fails, then it could be it does not allow or you uploaded the wrong file.

2. How often do you encounter the issue said? Do you run the test during the issue happens?

3. No stream from local? Error or screenshot?

4. Last question, I don't understand.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-09-15 08:17:45

@Clive_A 

There's no error message. It gets stuck on Please wait and then proceeds to blank out.

The logs are failing to upload here but it's mostly this 

<4>2023-09-15 13:42:40[Transmit]take errno(-1)

AFAIK, I am downloading the correct firmware for the product as well. 

This is not a occasional occurrence. The stream is completely not working. 

And, funny enough everything else is working except the stream such as alarm, changing setting, etc. 

Options
2023-09-15 09:30:01

Hi @darthvader6968 

Does this happen only after the firmware update?

Lower the stream resolution, any luck?

Options
2023-09-15 11:27:30

Hi   @Clive_A ,

Yep, this seems to occur only after the firmware update. 

The update went through successfully and it was working fine. But after a reboot it stopped working. 

I tried lowering the stream resolution now but that didn't help either :/ 

Thanks for your prompt responses. Is there something else I can try ? 

Options
2023-09-18 01:04:55

Hi @darthvader6968 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!

To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is TKID230929244, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!

Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.

Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
2023-11-18 19:30:40

@darthvader6968 

Hi, I am having same issue

Options
2023-11-24 01:23:02 - last edited 2023-11-24 01:23:32

Hi @iTrim 

iTrim wrote

@darthvader6968 

Hi, I am having same issue

1. Same hardware and firmware as the OP?

2. Same issue after upgrading the firmware?

3. Symptom?

Please make your situation clear so things can speed up. And @ correct person to get a faster reply.

Options
Re:New Firmware Bricked C340 Camera-Solution
2023-11-24 08:10:52 - last edited 2023-11-27 05:50:43

Hi, This issue was resolved by itself. 

I got on with the support and tried to manually upgrade the firmware again but it failed as well. 

I was away for work a month, came back. Started to troubleshoot but found out it's working fine now. I have no idea how. 

It's the same switch, same firmware (second update 2.0.5 Build 230915 Rel.65007n), same cable. 

I have been testing it for about a week and I haven't faced that issue again.

My conclusion was this could be an issue with the first firmware update (2.0.5 Build 230818 Rel.56964n)

In-case you are facing the same issue (Weird [Transmit]take errno(-1) in the logs) , try updating it to the 2.0.5 Build 230915 Rel.65007n firmware. 

Post updating, reset the camera,  power off the camera for a bit (a couple of hours maybe) and reset the camera again. 

Recommended Solution
Options