Broadcasting through concrete floor

2023-09-18 21:19:20

Hi,

I have an application where I have to broadcast wifi from a ceiling mounted access point from the ground floor directly down into the basement for a single PC.

The wifi will be positioned directly above the PC, and I know this because I took measurements using an elevator as a reference point.

The floor is poured concrete over corrugated steel.

I know it's doable because some 15 year old wireless-G's can be picked up on the 1st floor from the 2nd floor. (Those will be replaced soon).

My question is, which EAP model would be best suited for this application? Fast speed is not an issue, getting a good usable signal is.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Options
4 Reply
Re:Broadcasting through concrete floor
2023-09-19 03:44:38

@dbdan22 

I don't think the EAP is available in your network, the signal is hard to go through the concrete floor. Maybe 2.4G is much better, but 5G is not.

Do the ground floor and the basement use one total power system? Have you considered the powerline adapters, the home product?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-09-19 15:05:09

@dbdan22 

I would agree with Virgo, in that 2.4 may work for you, but pretty sure 5ghz wont cut through the concrete all that well

In theory any of the 2xx or 6xx APs would  be fine for this, however its best testing it before committing to a purchase.

Options
2023-09-20 00:34:50

@dbdan22 

Me three with @Virgo .  Corrugated steel is pretty much the definition of RF impenetrability.  Powerline sounds so much more doable/reliable unless you have some hope of going 'around' the giant steel plate holding the floor up.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-12-31 10:07:12 - last edited 2023-12-31 10:13:21

@dbdan22 

Just an update....

Got an EAP670

AC 5 Ghz does come through the floor, a little slow, but usable speed

N 2.4 comes through like a hot knife through butter.

The trick was to position the access point directly above the PC in the basement. Like I said, I used the elevator as a reference point, took a few measurements, and voila!

Happy New Year

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 361

Replies: 4

Related Articles