Will the XE75 Deco work in Hub and Spoke configuration with a switch acting as a hub ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Will the XE75 Deco work in Hub and Spoke configuration with a switch acting as a hub ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-20 16:07:29 - last edited 2023-09-21 09:19:28
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I do not have the option of daisy chaining the decos even though it's meant to be used that way.

I have a dual band wifi router which will cover the ground floor of my house and supply internet to that floor. 

There is a switch connected to the router which handles all the devices connected via ethernet.

I want to connect the 3 decos to the switch seperarately. Each deco will occupy a port on the switch. I have attached a diagram to show what I intend to do.

Questions :

1) Will this work ? 

2) Which mode should the Decos be in ? Router or AP mode ? 

3) Will the various ethernet devices connected to the switch be able to communicate with the various mobile devices connected to the decos ?

4) If this configuration does happen to work, will I be able to make use of the auto connect feature of the decos where the device automatically connects to the best deco ? 

5) Will I have to setup diff. SSIDs for each deco ? 

Thanks in advance ! 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Will the XE75 Deco work in Hub and Spoke configuration with a switch acting as a hub ?-Solution
2023-09-20 19:47:41 - last edited 2023-09-21 09:19:28

lykan_MD wrote

There is a switch connected to the router which handles all the devices connected via ethernet.

I want to connect the 3 decos to the switch seperarately. Each deco will occupy a port on the switch. I have attached a diagram to show what I intend to do.

Questions :

1) Will this work ? 

3) Will the various ethernet devices connected to the switch be able to communicate with the various mobile devices connected to the decos ?

4) If this configuration does happen to work, will I be able to make use of the auto connect feature of the decos where the device automatically connects to the best deco ? 

@lykan_MD 

1) This will work. See General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

2) For this to work, Deco mesh must be in AP mode

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) No, you will not have to set different SSID for each Deco. It will be one and the same SSID for all Deco mesh.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Will the XE75 Deco work in Hub and Spoke configuration with a switch acting as a hub ?
2023-09-20 17:45:45

@lykan_MD 
Struggling with the same.
Daisy chain won't work because of the distance between the wifi points.
As I see it, the suggested solution won't allow for a mesh network, just multiple separate networks which defeats the purpose of setting up multiple mesh-enabled wifi points...

Options
Re:Will the XE75 Deco work in Hub and Spoke configuration with a switch acting as a hub ?-Solution
2023-09-20 19:47:41 - last edited 2023-09-21 09:19:28

lykan_MD wrote

Questions :

1) Will this work ? 

@lykan_MD 

1) This will work. See General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

2) For this to work, Deco mesh must be in AP mode

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) No, you will not have to set different SSID for each Deco. It will be one and the same SSID for all Deco mesh.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Will the XE75 Deco work in Hub and Spoke configuration with a switch acting as a hub ?
2023-09-20 19:54:13

@Alexandre. Thanks for your reply.

I take it, the router will still dish out the IPs? Or does the main Deco have to act as a DHCP server?

Options
2023-09-20 20:00:52 - last edited 2023-09-20 20:07:55

@gasbas74 

With Deco mesh running in Access Point mode, the router will provide DHCP and DNS services. 

Options