5.12.9 TIME problem

5.12.9 TIME problem

5.12.9 TIME problem
5.12.9 TIME problem
2023-10-10 14:42:09 - last edited 2023-10-10 14:45:50
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.26.3

Hi! is there anyone here with a fix on the new update of the oc200 5.12. specially with the time settings? because everytime theres a powercut or a fluctuate on the electrity or anything that even shuts the oc200 down even for just a minute. our HOTSPOT (VOUCHER) system time changes. many of our clients goes way past their intended time. like if we don't unauthorize them in the HOTSPOT setup, there's no limit as to when they are connected.  we have tried going AUTO in the time settings and also going manual but none of them works its quite a hassle that we have to refresh our timezone from one place to the other just so we can keep our clients not going way past their intended time. one more is the NTP server. which we don't know how it works. any solution to this is greatly appreciated. and i have posted a picture and as you can see there is a mix of date between oct7 and oct 10. 

Options
12 Reply
Re:5.12.9 TIME problem
2023-10-11 07:57:06

@Eisen Did this problem occur after updating to 5.12? Also, I can’t see the pictures you uploaded.

Options
2023-10-11 07:59:03

@Eisen You can refer to https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/273926

Options
2023-10-18 10:50:45

@dulu yes, and many are having the same issue as me. since I am from the philippines electricity is not so constant so there will blackout from time to time and next thing we know our client who is just authorize for an 1hr goes way beyond their time limit. like for days. many of my fellow collegues went to downgrade their oc200 because of the latest update 

Options
2023-10-19 03:07:41

@Eisen 

Hotspot feature needs the Controller to keep running constantly, I don't think the issue you input is adapt to the common scenario. Just like me, hasn't a similar issue so far.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-12-06 19:09:39

@Eisen  same problem in my network

Options
2024-01-12 11:53:15

@Eisen 

TP-Link needs to sort this problem out, it is ridiculous that a critical network controller only validatyes its time and date once in a 24hour period and doesnt make any attempt to retry.  this fundamental system need should be validating or synching on a regular schedule of at least hourly, or be able to set this in the controller settings from a minimum of 15 minutes.  Other common routers allow for synch calls as frequently as needed.  People using the OC200's or 300's are not dummies, so sort this critical problem out TP Link!

Options
2024-01-12 14:48:32 - last edited 2024-01-15 15:30:55

@Eisen et al

First, I acknowledge that this is a real problem and should be fixed ASAP.

There are some temporary workarounds, ie migrate your hardware controller to the TPlink cloud controller, or a software controller running in a VM, container, Pi or laptop/server until the hardware controller firmware is tweaked to include an ntpd (NTP daemon) for the underlying OS. 

In fact, this is precisely why my OC200 is in a drawer and I'm using a $35 Pi Clone to run my 5.13 controller in a Docker container, as well as containers for Wireguard and PiHole to cover up deficiencies in the ER605v1...oh, and it also runs a crond job to cover up ongoing deficiencies in TPlink routers limited and buggy support for Dynamic DDNS.  At other sites the patch functionality is implemented on Synology NAS using the same Docker container stack.

LINK to my Pi solution build/how-to https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/606692?replyId=1203918

Keep reading that thread for the final result:

-heatsink mandatory

-added Portainer for container control

-added Wireguard (with good throughput results)

-added DDNS via container but later deleted this and replaced with a single crontab line for my DDNS provider

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-15 03:18:46
Although your solution works extremely well (am building the pi and manual so the extremely non tech people can switch out the oc200), it kind of detracts from TP Link actually delivering a product that works. Lots of nice enhancements to the dashboards etc, but the fundamental bugs should be fixed. This time issue should be an immediate roll out bug fix, not have to wait for a full release. This item controls access times, client access durations, log tracking etc. Having this function being unreliable on a core controller kind of makes the controller redundant and anyone who bought one, should be able to get a refund from TP Link.
Options
2024-01-15 08:28:52

@Morayf 

With all due respect, I don't understand why you guys think this is a bug in this product, very obvious hints here "Controller Online Required."

No offense, but am I misunderstand?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-02-09 02:42:40

@Virgo 

Actually this is the main problem.  "Controller Online Required" indicates that the controller for the site needs to be online at all times when using a portal.  It doesn't mean you need the "Online Controller", a hardware OC200/300 is just as good.  As many people do not want to be held captive with online pricing and licenses that can get a bit expensive when managing a larger site, or we just want to have management control over the site when there is no internet connectivity, the hardware controller is an important part.  Some of the work arounds are good, but they ignore the problem, which is that TP Link have created a major bug in its firmware and need to fix it.

This time problem renders the Hardware Controller completely useless in an operational situation as everything goes wrong - Logs, access time control and as many of us require, the portal.  It seems quite strange that a company like TP Link would be ignoring this fundamental bug whilst rolling out updates for the Omada Devices, not the controller.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 765

Replies: 12

Related Articles