ER605 2.2.2 update - no incoming IPv6 packets?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-10-25 13:09:12 - last edited 2023-10-30 08:42:19
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2

I recently upgraded to the new 2.2.2 firmware, after previously being on the beta version. Since updating I've noticed that no incoming ipv6 connections are getting through, everything is timing out at the firewall. I'm using the same access control rules that were previously working with the beta firmware, allowing certain protocols through to various hosts, and blocking all else. To test, I removed all rules and readded them, and then even added a rule that allowed ALL traffic in all directions to/from all hosts at ID 1, but even this didn't work - port scanners couldn't detect any ports being open on ipv6. Also, incoming ICMPv6 packets are also not getting through, and there doesn't appear to be any way to control these anyway that I can see, but from my memory I believe they were all working previously.

ipv4 connections and port forwards are all working perfectly.

Has anybody else had a similar issue and if so, have you been able to solve it? I haven't done a factory reset as yet because I'm very loath to reconfigure everything - I have a LOT of settings changed. Would a factory reset and re-upload of a saved configuration possibly fix it? I suppose it's possibly that my ISP has an issue with incoming ipv6 connections, but this seems far less likely than a router issue, and it only seems to have started happening since I upgraded the firmware.

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER605 2.2.2 update - no incoming IPv6 packets?-Solution
2023-10-27 14:49:09 - last edited 2023-10-30 08:42:19

@Clive_A Thenks for this advice. I tried changing to 2.1.15, keeping my existing configuration, but that didn't make any difference.

However I then re-upgraded to 2.2.2 and tried a factory reset and manually entered all the configuration again (not restoring config from file). This DID work, and now the firewall seems to be working properly despite it having exactly the same settings as it previously did.

A few things I noticed are:

- The new version blocks all incoming IPv6 packets by default, whereas the previous beta version allowed everything. This is a good change.

- The default services are different once I performed a factory reset. For example ICMPv6 is now there, and it wasn't previously.

I suspect the issue was some incompatibility between my saved settings and the new firmware, so they weren't being applied properly even though they "looked" correct. The factory reset seems to have cleared all that up, and even though it was a pain to re-enter a lot of port mappings and address bindings manually, it's all working perfectly now.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:ER605 2.2.2 update - no incoming IPv6 packets?
2023-10-27 01:21:32 - last edited 2023-10-27 01:23:51

Hi @AndrewB1975 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

You can try this version: Early Access ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)

It added several bug fixes and you can upgrade from 2.2.2 to it. Will it resolve the issue you experienced?

If it does not, please provide details about your IPv6 configuration and Wireshark details about IPv6 on your incoming(ingress) WAN.

How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

How to Use Port Mirror to Capture Packets in the Controller

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:ER605 2.2.2 update - no incoming IPv6 packets?-Solution
2023-10-27 14:49:09 - last edited 2023-10-30 08:42:19

@Clive_A Thenks for this advice. I tried changing to 2.1.15, keeping my existing configuration, but that didn't make any difference.

However I then re-upgraded to 2.2.2 and tried a factory reset and manually entered all the configuration again (not restoring config from file). This DID work, and now the firewall seems to be working properly despite it having exactly the same settings as it previously did.

- The new version blocks all incoming IPv6 packets by default, whereas the previous beta version allowed everything. This is a good change.

- The default services are different once I performed a factory reset. For example ICMPv6 is now there, and it wasn't previously.

I suspect the issue was some incompatibility between my saved settings and the new firmware, so they weren't being applied properly even though they "looked" correct. The factory reset seems to have cleared all that up, and even though it was a pain to re-enter a lot of port mappings and address bindings manually, it's all working perfectly now.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 2.2.2 update - no incoming IPv6 packets?
2023-10-30 08:42:15 - last edited 2023-10-30 09:15:06

Hi @AndrewB1975 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

AndrewB1975 wrote

Test team failed to replicate this. But we still want to dig in this.

Are you able to provide the config file for our test team? If yes, please let me know and I'll help you create a case and follow it up.'

To the original question, do you mean that IPv6 WAN dialing still work but the incoming IPv6 packets are all blocked?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 323

Replies: 3

Related Articles