How does load balancing work with varying bandwidth of cell phone internet connections?

How does load balancing work with varying bandwidth of cell phone internet connections?

2023-11-11 12:31:56 - last edited 2023-11-11 12:35:54
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am planning to have two WAN connections using two different UK cell phone networks.

The networks bandwidths and latencies can wary considerably depending on time of day, cell tower usage, etc.

The load balancing function for TL-R605 is described as below:

The multi-WAN Load Balancing function distributes data streams according to the bandwidth proportion of every WAN port to raise the utilization rate of multi-line broadband.

The description doesn't state if the load balancing is static or dynamic.

Because the bandwidth of my WAN connections will vary considerably during the day, is the load balancing smart enough to automatically detect the available bandwidths and adjust routing accordingly?

Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:How does load balancing work with varying bandwidth of cell phone internet connections?
2023-11-11 16:05:46

@snowch 

No, it's static weighting, dynamic would require a lot more than what is available on these devices today.  Unless one carrier is consistently say 2x better 24/7 than the other, I'd just set the weightings at 1:1 and deal with it.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 154

Replies: 1

Related Articles