**BUG** ER707-M2 VPN Service Provider L2TP/IPSEC Tunnel **BUG**

2023-11-14 16:33:11 - last edited 2023-11-15 02:32:37
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 and beta 1.1.1

This is actually v1.6 hardware but the drop-down for same doesn't allow it. (Note, TP-Link has the firmware links for v1.0 and v1.6 pointing to the same firmware files - on purpose - anyway.)

I have this configuration to allow routing for internet access randomly through one of many VPN tunnels whever I open a browser window (very good for security). This works perfectly on the TL-ER7206 I used to use, and have it set up exactly the same way on my new ER707-M2. However, if I go to whatismyip with dot com or whoer with dot net which shows where my internet connection is located, if I select more than one tunnel with the below setting, my internet connection always shows my actual location (meaning I am not getting any internet through any tunnel at all. If I switch it back to only one tunnel - then it works perfectly and the aforementioned websites show the corect location. I have rteported this issue in detail as a bug with support and have not heard back yet on them being able to replicate the problem. I tried the 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 (beta) firmware versions. I also went back and tried the 1.0.2 version but that drop-down does not ecven allow multi-select - selecting more than one tunnel at a time - so in preparing for the 1.1.0 roll out, it appears that new functionality was not tested as thoroughly as it should have been...

(These are L2TP/IPSEC connections outgoing (as client - for internet access) to VPN service providers.)

Does anyone else on this forum wither have or can replicate this issue?

Options
3 Reply
Re:**BUG** ER707-M2 VPN Service Provider L2TP/IPSEC Tunnel **BUG**
2023-11-15 02:32:17

Hi @Luds 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Luds wrote

This is actually v1.6 hardware but the drop-down for same doesn't allow it. (Note, TP-Link has the firmware links for v1.0 and v1.6 pointing to the same firmware files - on purpose - anyway.)

I have this configuration to allow routing for internet access randomly through one of many VPN tunnels whever I open a browser window (very good for security). This works perfectly on the TL-ER7206 I used to use, and have it set up exactly the same way on my new ER707-M2. However, if I go to whatismyip with dot com or whoer with dot net which shows where my internet connection is located, if I select more than one tunnel with the below setting, my internet connection always shows my actual location (meaning I am not getting any internet through any tunnel at all. If I switch it back to only one tunnel - then it works perfectly and the aforementioned websites show the corect location. I have rteported this issue in detail as a bug with support and have not heard back yet on them being able to replicate the problem. I tried the 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 (beta) firmware versions. I also went back and tried the 1.0.2 version but that drop-down does not ecven allow multi-select - selecting more than one tunnel at a time - so in preparing for the 1.1.0 roll out, it appears that new functionality was not tested as thoroughly as it should have been...

(These are L2TP/IPSEC connections outgoing (as client - for internet access) to VPN service providers.)

Does anyone else on this forum wither have or can replicate this issue?

Try the incognito mode and visit these sites again and see if your IP moves to the new one. Cache can retain your real location instead of using a remote VPN.

Or you can Wireshark or traceroute and view your traffic if it is true that all traffic is forwarded through the VPN tunnel. I don't usually believe the sites because the cache is really making problems.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-27 07:17:37

Hi @Luds 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I am expecting a reply from you based on my last reply. Test team is also notified about this issue and we would love to follow it up.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-27 23:59:03

@Clive_A hello and sorry for the delay in answering. Tracert does in fact show that when I include more than one VPN tunnel in the routing policy, it does give me aconnection that is outside of all of the tunnels. TP-LInk  has finally agreed to have a working session with me with their next level up in support and it will take a couiple of days to set up a troubleshooting session. I will keep yoiu updated.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 381

Replies: 3

Related Articles