Router or AP?

Router or AP?

Router or AP?
Router or AP?
2023-11-15 12:27:54 - last edited 2023-11-16 06:21:45
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.8

I want to install a 3 unit system in a private house on two flours for 3 laptops.

On which criteria do I decide to use router or AP mode?
The TP-link technical explanation doesnt help me.
Many thanks, Paul

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Router or AP?-Solution
2023-11-15 12:37:29 - last edited 2023-11-16 06:21:45

@Paul________C 

This is what you will need to take into consideration when deciding Router vs. Access Point mode:

1. Do you have ISP provided router/gateway, or they only provide you with modem which requires third-party router?

2. From the list of features available in Router mode, will you miss any if using Deco in AP mode? I am talking not about "nice to have" but "must have" features: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

3. Do you plan to hardwire Satellite Deco so that they will be using Ethernet backhaul? If yes, will the way you want to wire them work in Router mode or only in AP mode: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

If you still need recommendation, answer these questions here and I'll help you with making a decision.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Router or AP?-Solution
2023-11-15 12:37:29 - last edited 2023-11-16 06:21:45

@Paul________C 

This is what you will need to take into consideration when deciding Router vs. Access Point mode:

1. Do you have ISP provided router/gateway, or they only provide you with modem which requires third-party router?

2. From the list of features available in Router mode, will you miss any if using Deco in AP mode? I am talking not about "nice to have" but "must have" features: What’s the difference between Access Point mode and Router mode on the Deco?

3. Do you plan to hardwire Satellite Deco so that they will be using Ethernet backhaul? If yes, will the way you want to wire them work in Router mode or only in AP mode: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

If you still need recommendation, answer these questions here and I'll help you with making a decision.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Router or AP?
2023-11-15 16:57:10

@Alexandre. Thanks for your help.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 243

Replies: 2

Related Articles