Option 66 does not get passed on to dhcp clients.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-16 13:41:57 - last edited 2024-04-01 05:31:25
Tags: #DHCP Service #PXE
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2

I'm unable to get network booting to work. Option 66 doesn't seem to be passed on to the clients.

I've tested with netbootxyz and iVentoy. Using both HyperV and Virtualbox as machines to test against.

They all try to connect to the gateway IP instead of the IP specified in option 66. Option 67 is passed on as expected.

Any suggestions?

Controller: 5.12.7 hosted on Ubuntu 22.04.3
Router: ER605 V2 - Firmware 2.2.2

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Option 66 does not get passed on to dhcp clients.-Solution
2023-12-07 01:12:44 - last edited 2023-12-09 00:40:51

Hi Bob and dewk,

Clive_A wrote

Hi @bob0builder @dewk 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Confirmed w/ the dev that there will be a beta for standalone to have the next server. If you are using a controller, please let me know the controller version.

Here's the beta firmware for you. Please download the QR code and run a scan of it.

It adds support to the next server in standalone mode. For anyone who uses a controller, this might not be as helpful. Please wait for the future firmware of the Omada Controller.

Please note that this download link will expire within 7 days.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
20 Reply
Re:Option 66 does not get passed on to dhcp clients.
2023-11-16 13:54:05

@dewk 

I noticed when I was configuring my Omada router against Windows MDT/SCCM server.  Even though the IP was right, and the file name was wrong, it bombed out like it wasn't passing the IP.  Eventually I got it to work.  

Are you sure the filename is right?

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-11-16 14:32:22

@KimcheeGUN 

Thanks for your suggestion.

I can confirm that the filename is correct, I just tried downloading the file from the server with a TFTP client and that worked.

Options
2023-11-16 17:15:31 - last edited 2023-11-16 21:55:15

@dewk Same issue

Showing same issue.

Even tried using the dnsmasq setting for proxy. I did get it to boot but the Next-Server still shows Router IP and only the DHCP Proxy Next-Server is listed as the TFTP server.

I did try Option 66 and/or Option 150 on the ER7206 to no avail. Latest firmware posted.

My ER7206

Options
2023-11-17 02:31:46 - last edited 2023-11-17 02:34:24

Hi @bob0builder @dewk 

bob0builder wrote

@dewk Same issue

Showing same issue.

Even tried using the dnsmasq setting for proxy. I did get it to boot but the Next-Server still shows Router IP and only the DHCP Proxy Next-Server is listed as the TFTP server.

I did try Option 66 and/or Option 150 on the ER7206 to no avail. Latest firmware posted.

My ER7206

Any luck with the Wireshark monitoring the DHCP request?

Connect a new laptop or computer to the router, there will be a DHCP request, easy to catch the DHCP interaction.

New laptop with Wireshark installed. Start to capture on the right NIC. Filter dhcp. And see if the DHCP option 66 is there.

BTW, you can also try the 2.1.5 beta. Early Access ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware for Omada Controller V5.11 (Released on Oct 26th, 2023)

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-17 14:51:19

Hi  @Clive_A 

Thanks for your help and input.

It seems like the ip for the TFTP server is included as per wireshark monitor.

If I do a DHCP request via nmap it includes \x00 at the end of the TFTP server IP, I do not not know if this is significant.

Either way, it's not working for me with physical computers or VM's.

I will try the 2.1.5 beta during the weekend and report back.

Options
2023-11-20 09:24:39

Hi  @Clive_A 

Same behavior on the 2.1.5 beta. Early Access ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware.

Options
2023-11-20 09:29:47

Hi @dewk 

dewk wrote

Hi  @Clive_A 

Same behavior on the 2.1.5 beta. Early Access ER605 V2_2.1.5 Build 20231024 Beta Firmware.

Then I guess it is your device. The DHCP packet from the DHCP server contains the TFTP (Option 66), so you should search this on the system forum.

Options
2023-11-27 13:28:41

Hi @Clive_A,

I did some troubleshooting and it seems like I need next-server to be set in the DHCP header for netboot xyz, not option 66.

The boot file can be specified in either header or option 67.

Succesful test setup with minimal config on ISC DHCP server.

ISC config:

ISC DHCP Offer:

ER605 Offer for comparison:

Any chance we can set next-server and boot file name in the DHCP header instead of using options on Omada?

Options
2023-11-28 02:43:03

Hi @dewk 

dewk wrote

Hi @Clive_A,

I did some troubleshooting and it seems like I need next-server to be set in the DHCP header for netboot xyz, not option 66.

The boot file can be specified in either header or option 67.

Succesful test setup with minimal config on ISC DHCP server.

ISC config:

ISC DHCP Offer:

ER605 Offer for comparison:

Any chance we can set next-server and boot file name in the DHCP header instead of using options on Omada?

Got some news from the dev and senior engineer that the next server option is missing on this firmware. Will provide a beta(based on V2.2.2 firmware) soon.

I will let you know the download link as soon as I am updated.

Options
2023-11-28 07:56:03

@Clive_A 

That's great! Looking forward to testing the beta.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 2310

Replies: 20

Related Articles