Wireless Issue. Guest Mode vs VLAN - Neither Work? Help.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-24 09:38:24 - last edited 2023-11-27 07:56:48
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I am trying to setup a secure network for essentially all our smart devices here......

I want a normal network everyone users and then a devices network thats locked so that anything on it cannot access the network, preferably has it's own DHCP to set different DNS etc.

Now if I just click GUEST MODE on the network.....  It does seperate the devices out but eg.  We've tried setting up devices with our phones here and the devices can't communicate with the phone because anything on the guest network cannot communicate with anything else on that same network.  It's just like some dodgy thing TP Link have done?  Blocking out ALL local communication when it's in guest mode making it secure yes but useless for this.

So we move on, I can attach a VLAN ID number.......  but I don't have a phyiscal VLAN.......  I would like to be able to create a new LAN/DHCP for a particular VLAN number for things to attach to.

Am I missing something?  Can I not just have a seperated out WIFI Network thats seperate to everything else that works?.....

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wireless Issue. Guest Mode vs VLAN - Neither Work? Help.-Solution
2023-11-25 06:57:57 - last edited 2023-11-27 07:56:48

@MrHC1983 I ended up getting it sorted.  So I ended up setting one port on the router with a VLAN and tieing in with it's own DHCP.........  then attached my POE Switch to that POE that has my WIFI on it, setup the SSID's and if you set a VLAN ID on a SSID for that same one, it works fine and if you don't attach a VLAN ID it just uses the original DHCP.......... so it works fine.  Then you create ACL Rules to just block the traffic between the networks either one way or both, we did one way for ours.  

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Wireless Issue. Guest Mode vs VLAN - Neither Work? Help.-Solution
2023-11-25 06:57:57 - last edited 2023-11-27 07:56:48

@MrHC1983 I ended up getting it sorted.  So I ended up setting one port on the router with a VLAN and tieing in with it's own DHCP.........  then attached my POE Switch to that POE that has my WIFI on it, setup the SSID's and if you set a VLAN ID on a SSID for that same one, it works fine and if you don't attach a VLAN ID it just uses the original DHCP.......... so it works fine.  Then you create ACL Rules to just block the traffic between the networks either one way or both, we did one way for ours.  

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 209

Replies: 1

Related Articles