Can I use the TL-WPA8631P kit serving my garden shed to also serve my attic

2023-11-29 17:46:04 - last edited 2023-12-06 11:24:26
Model: TL-WPA8631P KIT  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

i have the TL-WPA8631P kit set up and it gives great wi-if service to my garden shed. I also have poor wi-if in the attic. As I already have a powerline installed what device do I buy to sort the attic ?. Is it the extender or the adaptor device ?. 

thanks in advance

Andy

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I use the TL-WPA8631P kit serving my garden shed to also serve my attic-Solution
2023-11-29 19:03:49 - last edited 2023-12-06 11:24:26

@Numpty-AWH1 

Hi,

There are Powerline adapters that only offer Ethernet port and there are Powerline adapters that offer Ethernet port and Wi-Fi. That's the whole difference.

So, if you want to connect computers, phones, tablets in the attic via Wi-Fi connection, then make sure you buy a model whose name starts with TL-WPA... (the "W" being important here) to extend your existing Powerline network.

Whether single units (also called "1-pack") are available for you to purchase seems to depend on the country you live in, as some users have reported in the past that they were unable to find them.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Can I use the TL-WPA8631P kit serving my garden shed to also serve my attic-Solution
2023-11-29 19:03:49 - last edited 2023-12-06 11:24:26

@Numpty-AWH1 

Hi,

There are Powerline adapters that only offer Ethernet port and there are Powerline adapters that offer Ethernet port and Wi-Fi. That's the whole difference.

So, if you want to connect computers, phones, tablets in the attic via Wi-Fi connection, then make sure you buy a model whose name starts with TL-WPA... (the "W" being important here) to extend your existing Powerline network.

Whether single units (also called "1-pack") are available for you to purchase seems to depend on the country you live in, as some users have reported in the past that they were unable to find them.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can I use the TL-WPA8631P kit serving my garden shed to also serve my attic
2024-01-19 15:41:21
Many thanks for then information. Will take a look and see which works best for me
Options
2024-04-15 10:27:40

@woozle 

Hi woozle

just about to press the button on a 1 pack - TP-Link Dual Band Gigabit AC1200 Powerline Adapter, Wi-Fi Extender/Booster,Speed Up to 1300 Mbps, Extra Power Socket, Works with OneMesh, No Configuration Required, UK Plug (TL-WPA8631P). The intention is to plug this in my attic room to help Wi-if up there. As the unit has some slots for cables I will use the, for so,e of the devices. My question is - I already have a set up where the main unit is plugged in close to my router and the other is down in the shed,will this new addition simply look to connect to the main top unit located near the router ?, or will it look to be another separate wi-if connection ?. A[ologies if this is a stupid question.

thanks in advance

Andy

Options
3 weeks ago

@Numpty-AWH1 

This can be configured as you wish. By default (out of the box) the TL-WPA8631P's Wi-Fi will be using the network name (SSID) and password that are printed on a small label on the unit itself. But this can be changed by the user. You can have the new TL-WPA8631P use the same network name and password as the router, but you could also choose a new network name and new password or a new network name and the existing password.
How that is done is explained in the user manual and/or quick installation guide that can be found here: 
https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/download/tl-wpa8631p/

By the way, since you already own a Powerline kit it might be worthwhile to check beforehand whether the location at the attic is indeed suitable for a Powerline connection. (so as to ensure you won't encounter any unpleasant surprises after you've already spent the money)
All you need to do is to unplug the TL-WPA8631P from the socket in the garden shed, carry it to the attic and plug it into the socket you intend to use for the third Powerline adapter. Then confirm that the TL-WPA8631P works fine at that location by connecting something to it. After this test just unplug the TL-WPA8631P and bring it back to the garden shed.

Options