ER-605 Wireguard S2S VPN became unstable after upgrading to Firmware 2.2.2

2023-11-30 00:09:12 - last edited 2023-12-01 00:59:19
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.2

Hi !

I have two ER-605 one at home, one at the weekend house. 

I had a great Wireguard Site to Site VPN connection running between the two, but since I have upgraded to Firmware 2.2.2 about 5 days ago on both routers, the tunnel became unstable. 

I'd say in every 2 minutes I have a 20-30 second timeout in the tunnel. 

And it's not the internet connection on either side since I have other services running at the weekend house which are open to an other port facing to the internet and while the S2S VPN is timing out I can still reach the other services through the open ports though HTTPS internet from Home to the Weekend house. 

No setup was changing around the wireguard and it was working stable before the FW upgrade.  I have rebooted both routers just to be on the right side. 

Since literally there are no logs around the wireguard connection, what can I do to track down the problem ? 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:ER-605 Wireguard S2S VPN became unstable after upgrading to Firmware 2.2.2-Solution
2023-11-30 20:38:32 - last edited 2023-11-30 20:39:26

@Clive_A 

Okay, it seems the ISP router was the guilty one on one of the side. It was acting like some kind of QOS kicked in and randomly killed different kind of traffic. 

It was just a coincidence that it has started after I have upgraded to 2.2.2. 

False Alarm, but thx for the brainstorming. 

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:ER-605 Wireguard S2S VPN became unstable after upgrading to Firmware 2.2.2
2023-11-30 02:25:42

Hi @MonsterVic 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

It is hard to say if this is a firmware issue or not. Wireshark in this situation, I don't think it would be any better than reverting your firmware to the previous one.

Can you try to roll back the firmware to the previous one? Since you have ruled out the chance that the Internet is the problem, so we can isolate this issue to the firmware level.

Or you can upgrade the firmware to the 2.1.5 beta?

So, if you roll it back and the WG becomes stable again, I can give feedback on this matter to the test team and see if they need anything from you.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-30 09:23:53

@Clive_A 

Alright I can roll back to the previous one to test.  I have used  the official 2.1.2   I guess it would be more wise to recreate the original situation. 

Is there any risk in rolling back ?  Simply just upload the Fw file and update ? 

Options
2023-11-30 09:27:13

Hi @MonsterVic 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

MonsterVic wrote

@Clive_A 

Alright I can roll back to the previous one to test.  I have used  the official 2.1.2   I guess it would be more wise to recreate the original situation. 

Is there any risk in rolling back ?  Simply just upload the Fw file and update ? 

Usually, there is no issue with the rolling back. We frequently roll back firmware in our lab and test environment.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2023-11-30 10:39:29

@Clive_A 

Okay I have completed the Downgrade back to 2.1.2 official. And well, no change, it's the same. 

At least we know it's not the firmware. 

Any suggestion ?

It's really not the internet since while the S2S Wiregouard is timing out I can connect to the Weekend house over OpenVPN from using the same internet connections on both side, and it's not my laptop doing something straneg since my Home NAS is also loosing the connection back to the weekend house. 

Port mirror the WAN port and check with Wireshark what's happening ? 

Options
Re:ER-605 Wireguard S2S VPN became unstable after upgrading to Firmware 2.2.2-Solution
2023-11-30 20:38:32 - last edited 2023-11-30 20:39:26

@Clive_A 

Okay, it seems the ISP router was the guilty one on one of the side. It was acting like some kind of QOS kicked in and randomly killed different kind of traffic. 

It was just a coincidence that it has started after I have upgraded to 2.2.2. 

False Alarm, but thx for the brainstorming. 

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 180

Replies: 5

Related Articles