Client has no internet connection despite being connect to the access point

2023-12-05 10:23:50
Model: EAP670   ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

We set up a WiFi network with Omada controller which consists of the ER605 router and the two EAP670 access points. Until now, every device was able to connect to the WiFi network and access the internet.

We recently bought a DJI drone and the RC controller as well. The RC controller is a minimal Android device that provides the bare essentials to operate the drone. However, whenever we try to connect the RC controller to our WiFi network, it can't access the internet. In the Omada admin page, we can't ping the RC controller either. Pinging the RC controller from another machine in the same network doesn't work as well.

This is a peculiar problem since every other device in the network is able to access the internet without problems.

It should be also noted that if we connect the RC controller to a smartphone hotspot network, the internet connection suddenly works.

I am interested whether this problem is familiar to some people and if a solution is known.

Thank you in advance.

Options
8 Reply
Re:Client has no internet connection despite being connect to the access point
2023-12-06 08:05:52

@nickone1 

Can you change the DNS on the RC controller? Try changing DNS to a public IP for testing, it seems like the DNS resolution has trouble.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-12-06 10:28:37
Hi Virgo, thanks for replying. I don't think it is a DNS resolution issue since I wasn't able to ping the RC controller directly via its IP.
Options
2023-12-06 12:55:56

@nickone1 

Some simple Wi-Fi devices cannot properly connect when the same SSID is set up on two different APs. Create a new 2.4 GHz SSID on only one AP and give it a try.

Kris K
Options
2023-12-07 10:02:42

@KJK 

Hi, I created another 2.4 GHz WiFi network in the same group as the existing one. I enabled this network then in only one AP in the config section.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I tried to lock the device to one AP as well, didn't help either.

Options
2023-12-07 12:58:22

@nickone1 

If the RC controller is on the network, you should be able to ping it. You should also see it on the client list of the AP in Omada Controller. Its IP address should be show, too, since APs can learn IP addresses of connected clients. I’m not sure about your EAP670, but I can also ping from my EAP660HD using Omada Controller. If a Wi-Fi client is connected to my AP, I can simply select it from the client list of the AP after picking ‘Client’ as the Destination Type.

Connecting those gadgets to the network is often frustrating. It may require several tries and a lot of patience. Sometimes those gadgets refuse to work if they do not have access to Internet or they start to work after a considerable delay once they connect to some Internet service first. 

Kris K
Options
2023-12-11 09:46:06
Hi, sorry for replying late. The weird issue is that even if I connect the RC Pro controller to the network, I can't ping it. We can see the client in the admin panel, but when I try pinging it (from the admin panel), it tells me that the network is unreachable.
Options
2023-12-11 13:09:52

@nickone1 

Sounds like an IP networking issue. How does the RC controller get its IP address? DHCP or manual? If manual, is that address from an existing, tested subnet? If there are multiple subnets on the network, the gateway on the RC controller needs to be set up correctly.

Kris K
Options
2023-12-11 14:14:13 - last edited 2023-12-11 14:48:45

Initially, the RC received its IP via DHCP. However, we tried to set a fixed IP afterwards. That approach didn't work as well. We also didn't create any additional subnets.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 396

Replies: 8

Related Articles