High disk usage by camera

2023-12-11 15:22:31 - last edited 2023-12-18 01:31:48
Model: VIGI C440  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.6 Build 231013 Rel.63912n

Hello,

I have two of Vigi C440 camera (first 2.8mm V2 and second 4mm V1 probably). The second one using like 10x more disk space than the V2 model and I don't know why. Both are on the same stream settings but I don't know that the difference should be that huge. 2.8mm version runs on 1.0.1 firmware and 4mm runs on 2.0.6.  And the 2.8mm picture looks worse than 4mm version. Both cameras have the same scenary, but different viewing angles, there is no difference in the dynamics of the scenery. Thanks for any help.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:High disk usage by camera-Solution
2023-12-12 09:56:19 - last edited 2023-12-18 01:31:48

Hi @kapik 

Thanks for posting in our business forum. I think that might make sense if you have some basic knowledge about the camera and computer.

1. Do simple math as you have stated everything is basically the same. So,

33 files and 17GB. 175 files 142GB.

Let's say it is 5.3 times 17GB = 90.1 GB. So if you have 175 files, that would take 90GB on the 2.8mm V2.

That's close but it makes sense

2. 4mm got a better image than 2.8mm, which makes sense, too. So, if the image quality is better than the other, that means the overall storage size would be larger than the bad-image-quality one.

3. Same scene, but different angles. Huh, not everything is the same, I believe. 2.8mm zooms out for more aspects but got worse quality. 4mm zooms in for better images and details. They definitely will not have the same FOV.

I would not think it is a problem with the device or firmware. It looks good to me.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-12-18 01:31:04 - last edited 2023-12-18 01:31:52

Hi @kapik 

It's plain and easy to tell the differences. Case's closed. I will not respond to this thread any further as I have iterated my point and explained it to you.

You really should take a second and browse through the files. Find the differences between them. After so many replies, you really should see my point if you try to understand the number of files and the size. I cannot help you understand it if I've put them so clearly.

#1. It is a consecutive recording with hours in a single clip.

#3 you sent. That many files but they are not consecutive. It's a short clip and you might have set some triggers.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
2023-12-12 09:56:19 - last edited 2023-12-18 01:31:48

Hi @kapik 

Thanks for posting in our business forum. I think that might make sense if you have some basic knowledge about the camera and computer.

1. Do simple math as you have stated everything is basically the same. So,

33 files and 17GB. 175 files 142GB.

Let's say it is 5.3 times 17GB = 90.1 GB. So if you have 175 files, that would take 90GB on the 2.8mm V2.

That's close but it makes sense

2. 4mm got a better image than 2.8mm, which makes sense, too. So, if the image quality is better than the other, that means the overall storage size would be larger than the bad-image-quality one.

3. Same scene, but different angles. Huh, not everything is the same, I believe. 2.8mm zooms out for more aspects but got worse quality. 4mm zooms in for better images and details. They definitely will not have the same FOV.

I would not think it is a problem with the device or firmware. It looks good to me.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:High disk usage by camera
2023-12-12 12:19:48

@Clive_A 1. I know that 40mm saved more files but still the difference in size shouldn't be that big. Cameras started recording at the same time and they're both recording 24/7 so I don't know why it uses 10 times more space

Options
2023-12-13 01:15:31

Hi @kapik

kapik wrote

@Clive_A 1. I know that 40mm saved more files but still the difference in size shouldn't be that big. Cameras started recording at the same time and they're both recording 24/7 so I don't know why it uses 10 times more space

33 files and 17GB.

175 files 142GB.

Have you considered how many files it has? Remove 142 files and check if it is 10 times or not.

What's the point in comparison if your denominator is not the same in your understanding(statement)??

0.5 file per GB.

0.8 file per GB. That's a 10 times gap?

Options
2023-12-13 19:27:35

@Clive_A yea its 10 times gap, when cameras started recording at the same time, they both record 24/7 and interesting what i saw right now, my C340 that is recording outside have 2048~ files and only uses ~30GB of disk space. It has most dynamic scenery, because it have view on road so I don't know why one camera uses like 10x more space with almost static scenery. 

Options
2023-12-15 01:17:29

Hi @kapik 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

kapik wrote

@Clive_A yea its 10 times gap, when cameras started recording at the same time, they both record 24/7 and interesting what i saw right now, my C340 that is recording outside have 2048~ files and only uses ~30GB of disk space. It has most dynamic scenery, because it have view on road so I don't know why one camera uses like 10x more space with almost static scenery. 

1. Is this VIGI C340?

2. This picture you gave. What's the duration of each file? Minute and single file size. Do you examine them?

3. Have you ruled out that there were some files generated while you were testing the recording feature? It is actually not the proper recording like what you sent earlier?

So, I would appreciate it if you could give me the same information you have. I cannot continue this as everything is scattered and consider it as a potential bug if I have to ask each time to sync what I understand and your understanding.

You can go straight for a support ticket if yourself is convinced by your understanding. I have to squeeze you and get the information that I did not know.

I am not convinced by what was said previously. Because it did not make sense to me when I did the calculation. I now start to feel it might not be right. I ask two questions in this reply.

When I present this to the test or dev team, it should be very clear about the facts you reported.

Options
2023-12-16 09:41:55

@Clive_A 
1. Yes it is C340 2.8mm
2. I will send u full screenshots from VIGI SM, like I said beforly, the gap shouldn't be that huge, firstly I connected and configured all cameras then I connected NVR and it is started saving all footage from cameras in the same time.
3. I don't think so, I was not changing anything since I turned on recording of all cameras on NVR - I was only using auto-update feature.

Options
2023-12-18 01:31:04 - last edited 2023-12-18 01:31:52

Hi @kapik 

It's plain and easy to tell the differences. Case's closed. I will not respond to this thread any further as I have iterated my point and explained it to you.

You really should take a second and browse through the files. Find the differences between them. After so many replies, you really should see my point if you try to understand the number of files and the size. I cannot help you understand it if I've put them so clearly.

#1. It is a consecutive recording with hours in a single clip.

#3 you sent. That many files but they are not consecutive. It's a short clip and you might have set some triggers.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 315

Replies: 7

Related Articles