Can a meshed EAP can be powered with a ordinary POE switch and supply connection to wired devices?

Can a meshed EAP can be powered with a ordinary POE switch and supply connection to wired devices?

2023-12-18 14:39:48 - last edited 2023-12-20 16:36:11

Hello everyone, 

i can't explain very much what i intended to do. However, i just wanted to know if a OMADA meshed EAP (any compatible model) supply the connection whiles being powered by a POE switch. 

I mean, say have an ordinarty POE switch in my bedroom which will power the EAP that will be meshed to another EAP (the source) in the living room. 

See this diagram i made (all meshed mentioned is OMADA)

Now, i know that the switch in the omada stack can power the source EAP mesh. 

However, i am not too sure if the child mesh can also be powered by an ordinary poe while also giving connection back to the switch which it is being powered upon? 

I hope everyone gets what i inteded to do :D 

if this is possible, it would be 1 less DC power in our bedroom and all wil be powered by POE and provided connection by the same POE Switch

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can a meshed EAP can be powered with a ordinary POE switch and supply connection to wired devices?-Solution
2023-12-18 17:17:46 - last edited 2023-12-20 16:36:11

@Mikram 

Yes.  Devices attached to the child AP's remote switch will appear as if bridged to the ethernet port that the root AP is attached to.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can a meshed EAP can be powered with a ordinary POE switch and supply connection to wired devices?-Solution
2023-12-18 17:17:46 - last edited 2023-12-20 16:36:11

@Mikram 

Yes.  Devices attached to the child AP's remote switch will appear as if bridged to the ethernet port that the root AP is attached to.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Can a meshed EAP can be powered with a ordinary POE switch and supply connection to wired devices?
2023-12-22 00:43:23

@d0ugmac1 

quick confirmation, can the child AP propagate the connection through a normal

POE switch connected to a poe port and not the uplink port of a ordinary poe switch just like in the image right? Just noticed that the poe switch im gonna use has a uplink port seprated from the 4 poe ports. So i figured can it still propagate the network using a non uplink port?.

thanks man

Options
Re:Can a meshed EAP can be powered with a ordinary POE switch and supply connection to wired devices?
2023-12-22 19:41:05

@Mikram 

You should be fine, worst case the uplink port is somehow performance optimized, but the AP should work find on a regular port :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 391

Replies: 3

Related Articles