All Omada Routers - Reduce Latency!

2023-12-26 02:27:12
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have mixed feelings on TPLink ......  The Omada system......  I work in IT doing basically L1-L3 HD/IT Setup type stuff with servers and we use a great mix of products.....  standard TP Link stuff, Omada Stuff, Ubiquitiy, PiVPN's and all the things .......

I've gone back to running a PfSense setup Hyper-V'd.......  and man the latency difference between my Omada setup and that is massive!  Even just going to speedtest.net watch the download/upload ping as it runs through.  The TPLink is basically 5-20x worse ON AVERAGE......

Fair enough I was running two cores of a AMD 5700G, 3GB RAM......  so much more beefy then the omada's cpu but still.......

PfSense can't do ALOT Omada offers.......  proper encrypted L2TP for Windows/iPhone connections......  VLAN doesn't work on it properly like Omada does....  Omada has MANY great features like if the router reset it self ........ depending on your setup in my case I have a OC200 cloud connected......... you can remote on via the cloud system and fix up whatever is needed, no port forwards required.

I like Omada.......  It's not perfect, I mean we use Dream Machines etc at work as well Ubiquitis .......  they are meh......  all much much the same.  

I think.......  TP Link you either need to focus on using better more beefier CPU's/RAM and or really focusing on adjusting the latency on all your product lineup.  It is REAL NOTICABLE in games......  It's very much like there is a packet que and the router struggles to get through it causing high latency and god forbid you have any small attack on ther router.

I mean I went from a ER605 to a ER707-M2......  to add RAM to help but the latency is a killer for me personally.  I've tried adjusting the TCP Timeouts to drop connections quicker etc, how can I get this latency issue sorted.  

I am just thinking out loud.  It's more a feedback post.....  If I could run the TPLink Router firmware on my own hardware it'd probably solve all my issues :D .......  

Perhaps you can change how the firewall works to improve the latency issues.......  I'd also be nice to have a simple thing on the Omada thing to show how many ACTIVE connections there are......  or just any tech info for real........  pull up a list of all active connections etc.  

I just think the entire Omada system is on underpowered hardware and the software needs tweaking a fair bit........  ultimately it's a case of the CORE function is to provide internet and thats where it falls flat for me........  it's very bad at managing loads of any sort.  It lags, it has latency, it's just not fast.  I can sit there and game say on PfSense with heaps of other things downloading across the network and it won't blink, latency is so FAST at adjustment where as the Omada it's like a SLOW QUE of packets waiting to clear it seems.......  If I mange to solve my VPN issues etc I'll be moving away from Omada .........  when you workout the cost of the omada system vs your own setup......  almost the same with a greater power upside as you can run Pi Hole or LanCache on the same box .....

Options
2 Reply
Re:All Omada Routers - Reduce Latency!
2023-12-26 02:40:44 - last edited 2023-12-26 05:14:04

Coming back to this....... given the frustration I thought well if I know the CPU aint real good....... lets try just turning everything off and seeing how the ping/latency goes then. I already don't use IDS etc given the previous posts...... So I'll trial this more but it seems turning off some basics dropped the ping/latency down MASSIVELY.... I was getting 10-20ms on PfSense doing speed tests (days consistantly)..... TPLink setup 30-150ms....... Consistantly on the download part for all of this..... I turned off the entire Attack Defence stuff.... and now I am down to like 20-30ms consistently on the Omada stuff...... so pretty close to PfSense now. I'll just leave everything off packet defense wise and test it for a few days now.

Before as the speed test continued the ping would go up and up........ I am sure many have seen this ...... you can google around it's reported.  I think the attack defence flood control .......... anything packet inspection wise causes this......... more packets more lag as there is more to inspect......  

Options
Re:All Omada Routers - Reduce Latency!
2024-02-26 14:08:00

@MrHC1983 The ER8411 seems to be fine with Latency.  I get sometimes below 2ms if one of the connections is fiber.  I have tried gaming with a fiber ISP (Latency around 2ms) and a 5g cellular ISP (Latency around 15ms) in a Load Balancing configuration and I have to say it seems that the router will give low latency to my games (Fortnight and Lichess).  Also when doing a Speedtest the latency is around 2ms to 3ms ... so it seems to know how to go with the low latency for some stuff.  I have tested 5 x ISP cellular and results have been incredible with speeds on the 10G Fiber output going over 1G per node.  The ER8411 was incredibly buggy initially ... but with the latest firmware update it seems like it has settled down.  I do agree that the CPU and Memory are way underpowered ... if you change anything, you can see the CPU task bar go to 100% for almost 20 seconds.  I would gladly pay more to have more CPU power.

Options