HOWTO setup IPSEC/GRE ?

HOWTO setup IPSEC/GRE ?
HOWTO setup IPSEC/GRE ?
2024-01-02 12:48:12
Tags: #VPN
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.1 Build 20230705 Rel.75930

Dear TP-link,

I would like to configure GRE tunnel over IPsec VPN connection. My IPsec connection is alreay running, but now I want to enable GRE tunnel.

Do you have documentation how to setup GRE tunnel over IPsec on ER605 / ER7206 routers?

Kind regards, wp-fred

Options
6 Reply
Re:HOWTO setup IPSEC/GRE ?
2024-01-02 17:16:35 - last edited 2024-01-03 03:24:14

@wp-fred 

I don't believe GRE is an option.  However, you can run L2TP over IPsec instead.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-03 02:10:50

Hi @wp-fred 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Three options for you to pick from.

L2TP over IPsec

IPsec.

Or GRE over IPsec.

I am not sure I understand what you ask for here.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-03 12:36:29 - last edited 2024-01-03 12:54:30

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your answer.

I would like to run a VPN server (ER7206 or ER8411) and connect multiple sites based on ER605 via a LAN-to-LAN (transparent layer 2 connection) in order to support multicast (IGMP) protocol. In this setup Device-A and Device-B just gets IP-address from DHCP server over the layer 2 tunnel.

I was hoping firmware supports OpenVPN bridge-mode. But it seems OpenVPN Bridge mode is not supported yet. Are there any alternatives?

For a proof of concept I have bought ER7206 and two ER605 units. Since I have not much experience with TP-link equipment, do you have a HOWTO document?

Options
2024-01-04 02:50:17

Hi @wp-fred 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

wp-fred wrote

@Clive_A 

I would like to run a VPN server (ER7206 or ER8411) and connect multiple sites based on ER605 via a LAN-to-LAN (transparent layer 2 connection) in order to support multicast (IGMP) protocol. In this setup Device-A and Device-B just gets IP-address from DHCP server over the layer 2 tunnel.

I was hoping firmware supports OpenVPN bridge-mode. But it seems OpenVPN Bridge mode is not supported yet. Are there any alternatives?

For a proof of concept I have bought ER7206 and two ER605 units. Since I have not much experience with TP-link equipment, do you have a HOWTO document?

Set up the IPsec then. S2S. You can find the guide on the official website. FAQ.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-04 06:50:40

@Clive_A 

To my knowledge IPsec does not support layer 2 traffic. So Multicast traffic (IGMP) will not work over IPsec VPN connection.

Your help would be highly appreciated. 

Options
2024-01-04 13:02:41

@wp-fred 

^^ That is the reason the OP wants to run GRE over the IPSEC.

TPlink routers support an IGMP proxy for WAN ports, but I don't know if that extends to VPN endpoints.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 418

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles