EAP615-Wall(US) v1.0 has issues with 1.2.3 Firmware

2024-01-02 22:37:47
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3

I saw the upgrade prompt in the controller, and upgraded my 3 EAP-615WALL APs. Immediately upon upgrading, some devices would not reconnect under any circumstances, all failing with errors pointing to the password being incorrect. However, none of these devices had passwords changed, and other devices using the same password could connect with no issues.

Additionally, 2 of the 3 EAP-615WALL devices had problems re-adopting to the network. They are all are connected via Ethernet (POE) to a TL-SG2210P v3.20 switch. no issues with POE were noted by the switch. After unplugging/replugging to Ethernet, eventually those two would connect, but be meshed, and not connected via Ethernet.

Upon manually downloading the 1.1.6 firmware and installing that back on the APs, immediately everything worked correctly, and previously non-connecting devices connected with no issues.

It seems there are still some issues with the 1.2.3 firmware, at least in respect to the EAP-615WALL 1.0 devices.

Options
30 Reply
Re:EAP615-Wall(US) v1.0 has issues with 1.2.3 Firmware
2024-01-03 08:41:41

Hello @chrisfromthelc,

Thanks for reporting this issue to TP-Link community!

chrisfromthelc wrote

I saw the upgrade prompt in the controller, and upgraded my 3 EAP-615WALL APs. Immediately upon upgrading, some devices would not reconnect under any circumstances, all failing with errors pointing to the password being incorrect. However, none of these devices had passwords changed, and other devices using the same password could connect with no issues.

If you re-type in the password on these client devices, can they reconnect EAPs?

Additionally, 2 of the 3 EAP-615WALL devices had problems re-adopting to the network. They are all are connected via Ethernet (POE) to a TL-SG2210P v3.20 switch. no issues with POE were noted by the switch. After unplugging/replugging to Ethernet, eventually those two would connect, but be meshed, and not connected via Ethernet.

Do you mean EAPs can not be adopted via Ethernet? What is the error message when they show "Adopted Failed"?

Please tell us from which version upgraded to EAP615-Wall 1.2.3 firmware and what is the firmware version of your controller?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-01-03 15:33:48 - last edited 2024-01-03 15:35:52

@chrisfromthelc 

FWIW I had no upgrade issue with identical hardware (ie 615-wallv1 and 2210P), though my 615 runs (CA) and not (US) firmware.  However I did experience weird connectivity issues which were resolved once I upgraded the switch which causes all devices to re-attach, then upgraded the router which caused all devices to reprovision.  Suggest you pull a Ctrl-Alt-Del and see if it all comes back up stable.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-03 16:59:44 - last edited 2024-01-03 17:00:59

@Hank21 

> If you re-type in the password on these client devices, can they reconnect EAPs?

No, they would continue to fail with an error indicating that the password was incorrect. I can confidently say that it was not, as I disconnected one of the working devices and reconnected it with the same password to ensure this was not the case.

> Do you mean EAPs can not be adopted via Ethernet? What is the error message when they show "Adopted Failed"?

Here's a screenshot of the logs from that timeframe, with the first (bottom) item being immediately after the firmware update from 1.1.6 to 1.2.3.

Error log screenshot

This issue is only occuring with this one AP. All of my 615 APs are v1 devices purchased at the same time, and this is the first real issue I've had with any of them. I downgraded them all back to 1.1.6 just before the events happening at 5:47 in the log, but this one device still has issues. It was rock solid before the 1.2.3 upgrade.

My controller is the OC300.

Controller Version

Model
OC300 1.0
Firmware Version
1.19.3 Build 20230906 Rel.38429

Here's my entire hardware list (the one AP without the upgrade prompt is physically disconnected at the moment due to some painting going on in that room).

If I can at all solve this without needing to physically remove the device, that would be preferred, as it's in a somewhat inaccessible location (20ft ceiling).

Thanks!

Options
2024-01-04 01:22:22

@chrisfromthelc 

Getting the same issue with some devices unable to connect on V1.2.3, with a similar setup to you. Something is definitely wrong with this update. 

Didn't have any adoption issues but everything was fine once rolling back to 1.1.6.

Options
2024-01-04 02:18:53

Hi @chrisfromthelc,

There are logs showing Switch's port was blocked, it seems there was loop detected so the port 2 was blocked. 

To unblock the port, you may go to Devices -> Config to edit the Port2 on the switch, then disable Loopback Detection.

If there is still an issue after you roll EAP firmware back to 1.1.6, it is hard to say the issue is related to the new firmware 1.2.3.

chrisfromthelc wrote

No, they would continue to fail with an error indicating that the password was incorrect. I can confidently say that it was not, as I disconnected one of the working devices and reconnected it with the same password to ensure this was not the case.

Are these devices all IoT 2.4G devices? You may try disabling the PMF settings for all SSIDs to test. Just like here.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-01-04 02:22:41

Hi @Skiller00

The PMF feature was supported since Omada Controller v5.7, which requires to upgrade the EAP device firmware to take effect. The previous firmware you used is not adapted to controller 5.7, that is, the previous firmware doesn't support the PMF feature, thus the PMF configuration with "Mandatory" won't affect the connection of non-PMF-capable clients.

While the EAP615-Wall 1.2.3 new firmware is adapted to controller 5.9, which supports the PMF feature. It seems that your IoT client is non-PMF-capable, so changing PMF from "Mandatory" to "Capable" can fix the issue. If your IoT still has connection issue with the "Capable" option, you may disable PMF for the IoT network.

Options
2024-01-04 07:50:45

@Hank21 

Hank21 wrote

Hi @chrisfromthelc,

There are logs showing Switch's port was blocked, it seems there was loop detected so the port 2 was blocked. 

To unblock the port, you may go to Devices -> Config to edit the Port2 on the switch, then disable Loopback Detection.

If there is still an issue after you roll EAP firmware back to 1.1.6, it is hard to say the issue is related to the new firmware 1.2.3.

chrisfromthelc wrote

Are these devices all IoT 2.4G devices? You may try disabling the PMF settings for all SSIDs to test. Just like here.

I completely power-cycled everything since my original messages, and the issue with the one AP *after* downgrading seemed to disappear. I'll chalk that specific hiccup up to a fluke.

I re-upgraded to 1.2.3. I checked, but PMF was already set to "Capable" (Disable is grayed out). I still the same issue with the single same EAP unit after I upgraded it.The other ones appear to be working fine, but the one problem AP *appears* to be connected fine for a few minutes, then goes to "Adopting", and eventually "Adopt Failed".

The only thing that has changed from before the issue to after the issue is the firmware.

Options
2024-01-04 10:00:43

@chrisfromthelc 

I have also same issue here with EU version. 

i Have one Ipad, unable to connect at all.

What it current best proposal.... downgrade ?

Best regards

Options
2024-01-04 13:04:54

@chrisfromthelc 

^^ have you tried a powerdown/powerup reset of the entire system?   If still a no-go with the iPad, then yes, revert to older firmware pending more info from TPlink.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-04 21:39:13

@d0ugmac1 

My previous response noted that I've already done a complete power cycle of everything.

I do not have an iPad, you seem to be getting me confused with other posters on this thread.

I've managed to retrieve the device from its spot on the ceiling, and plugged it directly into the switch, and downgraded and reupgraded it with the same issues.

It appears that 1.2.3 for some reason will not work on this specific AP. I pulled a new AP out and placed it in the same location as the malfunctioning one, upgraded it, and it's been running over night and all day with no issues.

Options