KP400 Seems to be physically frozen On

2024-01-15 16:59:58 - last edited 2024-01-19 21:23:33
Model: KP400  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I do not know the hardware version, nor firmware version atm. 

My KP400 seems to be frozen ON. It is on my network and will accept and respond to Off signals (and subsequent On signals) but the power continues to flow.

Am I correct that there are physical switches/relays for the two outlets? If so it is behaving as though the switch is frozen on. Is that feasible? I cannot get access to the unit at the moment (it is very cold here now -13C - feels like -23C). It is only decorative lighting that it controls, so I have temporarily disconnected power to the unit.

I am just checking whether my inference about freezing is possible.

Rick

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:KP400 Seems to be physically frozen On-Solution
2024-01-19 21:19:46 - last edited 2024-01-19 21:23:33

Having brought the KP400 in from the frozen wastes that masquerades as my backyard during the winter, one of the two sockets works OK and the other is not working. The 'relay' must be closed as power flows through to the socket, but when trying 'power off' to that outlet, there is a buzzing noise that sounds like a relay is firing quickly. If the app is set to "off" and the unit KP400unit is plugged in again, then trying to switch that outlet 'on' creates a similar buzz.

It seems as though that one of the outlets' relays is dead. Seems as though that one it did not handle -15C when switching was tried. 

Fortunately the app allows me to 'switch' the two devices over, so now the decorative lights are restored, though I only have a single outlet capability.

Rick

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:KP400 Seems to be physically frozen On
2024-01-17 09:23:20

@ricketyca 

Does it respond to the physical control, the power button? If not, it does look like an issue with the relay. 

You could try moving it indoors, waiting for a while, and seeing how it performs at room temperature.

Share Your Pet Story. Win Free Tapo Care!Smart Action 2.0 Explore and meet the next level home automation.
Options
Re:KP400 Seems to be physically frozen On
2024-01-17 14:36:07

@Wayne-TP Yes Wayne, that is my plan. We are currently in a 'feels like -22C' so as this one is only handling a decorative light, I will venture out in a day or so to retrieve it.

Options
Re:KP400 Seems to be physically frozen On-Solution
2024-01-19 21:19:46 - last edited 2024-01-19 21:23:33

Having brought the KP400 in from the frozen wastes that masquerades as my backyard during the winter, one of the two sockets works OK and the other is not working. The 'relay' must be closed as power flows through to the socket, but when trying 'power off' to that outlet, there is a buzzing noise that sounds like a relay is firing quickly. If the app is set to "off" and the unit KP400unit is plugged in again, then trying to switch that outlet 'on' creates a similar buzz.

It seems as though that one of the outlets' relays is dead. Seems as though that one it did not handle -15C when switching was tried. 

Fortunately the app allows me to 'switch' the two devices over, so now the decorative lights are restored, though I only have a single outlet capability.

Rick

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 184

Replies: 3

Related Articles