ER707 seems to block all Port-Forwardings
ER707 seems to block all Port-Forwardings
2024-01-18 16:55:43 - last edited 2024-01-18 16:56:51
Tags: #VPN
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1

Hello everyone,

I am using a FritzBOX 6690 as a modem (with IPv4 address, no DS Lite), my ER707 is behind it (no exposed host), port forwarding in the FritzBox is set. Only the router is connected to the FritzBox, no other device (not even via WLAN). I manage the router via Omada.

I currently have the following problem: I normally connect to my home network via OpenVPN (the ER707 is my VPN server) when I have appointments in the field. This has worked without any problems so far. I wasn't traveling much at the end of November and in December, so I only noticed this now: The OpenVPN connection could no longer be established. I did update the firmware on the router once during this time, but that was it.

I have now tested the following:

- Does the DynDNS resolution work? Yes, the FritzBox does the DynDNS update at duckdns - the update works

- As a test, I connected a fresh Raspberry with only a web server directly to the LAN of the FritzBOX to test the port forwarding function in general -> call with the dyndns address -> works immediately

- deleted all port forwardings on the FritzBox, restarted the FritzBox, set up the forwardings again -> no change

- Switched to Exposed Host as a test -> no change

- connected the Raspberry web server to the router and set port forwarding -> not accessible

When I start the OpenVPN connection with my Android client, the log looks like this:

[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] OpenVPN core 3.git::081bfebe:RelWithDebInfo android arm64 64-bit PT_PROXY
[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] ----- OpenVPN Start -----
[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] EVENT: CORE_THREAD_ACTIVE
[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] Frame=512/2048/512 mssfix-ctrl=1250
[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] EVENT: RESOLVE
[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] Contacting 178.27.XXX.XXX:1194 via UDP
[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] EVENT: WAIT
[Jan. 18, 2024, 17:02:21] Connecting to [XXXXXXXXXX.duckdns org]:1194 (178.27.XXX.XXX) via UDPv4 

Unfortunately I can't find any logs for the firewall on Omada, it feels like one setting doesn't match - but I haven't made any changes to the system in the last few weeks apart from the firmware update.

As we say in german: "I probably can't see the wood because of all the trees" :-)

Options
5 Reply
Re:ER707 seems to block all Port-Forwardings
2024-01-19 07:00:15

@mero_dlx 

I have a couple of ER707-M2 none of these have problems with port forward. I also have an openvpn server to which the port is forwarded

The config looks like this for me

Options
2024-01-21 02:53:45

@mero_dlx 

so if you have properly set up the port forwarding on the first nat, it should work as expected.

For open vpn, you don't have to set up port forwarding on the router.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-01-21 14:03:45

@Tedd404 

I only have a Port-Forwarding on UDP1194 from FritzBox to ER707 - it worked pretty well until now, thats why I'm little bit confused :-)

Options
2024-01-22 08:52:45

Hi @mero_dlx 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

mero_dlx wrote

@Tedd404 

I only have a Port-Forwarding on UDP1194 from FritzBox to ER707 - it worked pretty well until now, thats why I'm little bit confused :-)

So this issue only merged after the firmware upgrade? Is that possible for you to downgrade and give it another test?

If it worked, so I assume that you are doing the correct port forwarding before the timestamp when it is not working.

If the downgrade makes it work again, but upgrading to the latest makes it worse, it might be a firmware problem then. If you can confirm that for me, I might be able to help you escalate this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-01-29 02:19:44

I recently replaced ER605 (returned) with ER707-M2 (due to the need of DPI).  I don't see any problem with port forwarding.  I have 6 forwarding rules in router through Omada and they all work fine.

However, I have noticed OpenVPN stops working when I try to connect to the LAN network through "OpenVPN Connect" in my Android phone.

The symptom is that

1.  I can connect to the VPN server.  I see my own VPN log-in in Omada controller.

2.  But I can't connect to any LAN network devices.  I could not even ping the router LAN IP or any IP within the LAN.

When I had ER605, OpenVPN worked well.  Thus I think there is a bug in ER707's OpnVPN server or something relevant. 

Does anyone see this issue too? 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 341

Replies: 5

Tags

Related Articles