Connecting two TL-WA854RE Range Extenders to the same network

2024-01-29 17:09:33 - last edited 2024-01-30 10:03:22
Model: TL-WA854RE  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi There,

I have a need to link the smart bulbs in my house via the 2.4ghz channel using a range extender. I have successfully connected 12 bulbs into the network using this method (I have the TL-WA854RE).

As i have another 12 bulbs to add I have bought a second range extender. Same model TL-WA854RE. However, I am having trouble with connecting the second unit to my router. I suspect this is because the default SSD name is the same. Am I right? And if so, what is the solution to getting both of the range extenders connected to the same router (I am using the Tether app to help me)

Thank you.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Connecting two TL-WA854RE Range Extenders to the same network-Solution
2024-01-30 09:52:54 - last edited 2024-01-30 10:03:22

Thank you for the reply @terziyski Really appreciate it. The info at the link you provided didn't show me the solution to my specific question (at least it wasn't obvious to me).

However I did resolve the issue last night. Its really simple (not sure why I didn't do this the first time!).

Issue:

The first TL-WA854RE was already successfully setup. But it was interfering with the setup of the second TL-WA854RE. This is because the the default credentials are the same for both units.

Solution:

* Ensure the first TL-WA854RE is setup correctly

* Unplug the first TL-WA854RE (SSD "[mynetworkname]_EXT")

* Setup the second TL-WA854RE

* During the setup for the second unit, change the SSD to [mynetworkname]_EXT2 (it can be any SSD - you choose)

* Plug the First Unit Back in.

Result:

Each TL-WA854RE now has its own SSD Connect your clients/devices to either _EXT or _EXT2
(Remember to connect your phone to the appropriate SSD during this process)

Notes:

* These devices only seem to be able to handle 12 clients/devices.So split your devices appropriately.

* You should be able to see the signal strength in the native app for the device you are connecting to your range extender (at least I could for my devices)

* Once your all setup you can connect your phone/laptop back to the main network [mynetworkname] and you'll be able to see both of your range extenders in the Tether app.

* if you can't see both range extenders in the tether app its probably because the device you are using the Tether app on is directly connected to one of the range extenders (see previous bullet point)

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Connecting two TL-WA854RE Range Extenders to the same network
2024-01-29 17:38:00

@Noswal 

You should be able to connect a second RE to your main router without any problem - try this guide.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
Re:Connecting two TL-WA854RE Range Extenders to the same network-Solution
2024-01-30 09:52:54 - last edited 2024-01-30 10:03:22

Thank you for the reply @terziyski Really appreciate it. The info at the link you provided didn't show me the solution to my specific question (at least it wasn't obvious to me).

However I did resolve the issue last night. Its really simple (not sure why I didn't do this the first time!).

Issue:

The first TL-WA854RE was already successfully setup. But it was interfering with the setup of the second TL-WA854RE. This is because the the default credentials are the same for both units.

Solution:

* Ensure the first TL-WA854RE is setup correctly

* Unplug the first TL-WA854RE (SSD "[mynetworkname]_EXT")

* Setup the second TL-WA854RE

* During the setup for the second unit, change the SSD to [mynetworkname]_EXT2 (it can be any SSD - you choose)

* Plug the First Unit Back in.

Result:

Each TL-WA854RE now has its own SSD Connect your clients/devices to either _EXT or _EXT2
(Remember to connect your phone to the appropriate SSD during this process)

Notes:

* These devices only seem to be able to handle 12 clients/devices.So split your devices appropriately.

* You should be able to see the signal strength in the native app for the device you are connecting to your range extender (at least I could for my devices)

* Once your all setup you can connect your phone/laptop back to the main network [mynetworkname] and you'll be able to see both of your range extenders in the Tether app.

* if you can't see both range extenders in the tether app its probably because the device you are using the Tether app on is directly connected to one of the range extenders (see previous bullet point)

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Connecting two TL-WA854RE Range Extenders to the same network
2024-02-22 09:05:08

@Noswal cannot  connect

Options