Online Detection with intermittent WAN failure

2024-02-07 09:38:57
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.1 Build 20240117 Rel.57421

I have two WAN links which are load balanced on an ER7206, managed via an OC200.

Usually, the online detection feature works fine, and if one of the WAN links fails, all traffic is routed to the secondary WAN link as expected.

However, a problem appears WAN link has an intermittent failure where occasional packets are able to get through the WAN. Because the router keeps checking for connectivity, it seems to reactivate the link again as soon as an online detection ping succeeds.

This causes the bad link to come back online, and traffic starts immediately routing that way. Because the WAN failure is intermittent, most of this traffic fails. I can see the link flip between Online & Offline every few minutes when the pings randomly get through.

At the moment I have to resolve this by manually disabling the faulty WAN on the controller, and then trying to activate it again after a few hours to see if the problem is fixed.

It would be great if there was a way to only reactivate the broken link only if pings succeed consistently for a configurable number of times, instead of bringing the broken WAN back up immediately. However, I can't see any settings that would allow this.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Online Detection with intermittent WAN failure
2024-02-08 02:18:38

@Bagpuss_Yawn 

Have you tried changing a longer online detection interval for testing?

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
Re:Online Detection with intermittent WAN failure
2024-02-08 02:31:51

@Bagpuss_Yawn 

Read what is written in the pinned post about failover. It should answer everything you have here.

After the reading, you should know this might be impossible.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options