WAN Ping attacks from different external IP addresses on two separate days, ER605 blocked them

WAN Ping attacks from different external IP addresses on two separate days, ER605 blocked them

2024-02-08 05:27:30 - last edited 2024-02-10 04:10:29
Tags: #ping
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel. 44368

While reviewing my home network which is all Omada based (OC200, ER605 and a SG2428P Switch with PoE access points), my phones app alerted me to two WAN Ping attacks over the past week or so.

First alerts were on 1/30/24 and were from the following IP addresses:

152.32.159.252 - Mumbai

144.172.123.32 - Las Vegas

Second alerts were today, 2/7/24 from two new IP addresses

185.231.233.124 - Lisbon

139.99.66.158 - Singapore

both times my ER605 dropped between 208 and 309 packets between the requests, assuming the flood defense was working and blocking the incoming traffic. are these pings something i should worry about as in someone targeting my static IP from my provider, or these are pings targeting my providers IP range in general. is there anything i need to be worried about beyond letting the ER605 flood defense continue to block these ping attacks or is there something that needs to be done.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:WAN Ping attacks from different external IP addresses on two separate days, ER605 blocked them-Solution
2024-02-09 06:15:56 - last edited 2024-02-10 04:10:29
Should be totally acceptable. If you are on the internet, you face such an issue anyway.
ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:WAN Ping attacks from different external IP addresses on two separate days, ER605 blocked them-Solution
2024-02-18 00:56:28 - last edited 2024-02-18 00:56:34

Hi @dictoresno 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you face such an issue, you may use ACL to block their access. WAN IN ACL would be useful in blocking their access to your IP. Yet this cannot block their tries.

It would be very normal to see scans that trigger the firewall settings. Should be fine unless you face a problem with the unstable network which means the scale of the attack increases and may become DDoS or other types of attack which may shut your network down. You should get some third-party firewall or service. Or you can contact your ISP to get a different IP address.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
2024-02-09 06:15:56 - last edited 2024-02-10 04:10:29
Should be totally acceptable. If you are on the internet, you face such an issue anyway.
ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-02-18 00:56:28 - last edited 2024-02-18 00:56:34

Hi @dictoresno 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you face such an issue, you may use ACL to block their access. WAN IN ACL would be useful in blocking their access to your IP. Yet this cannot block their tries.

It would be very normal to see scans that trigger the firewall settings. Should be fine unless you face a problem with the unstable network which means the scale of the attack increases and may become DDoS or other types of attack which may shut your network down. You should get some third-party firewall or service. Or you can contact your ISP to get a different IP address.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 165

Replies: 2

Tags

ping
Related Articles