Deco WiFi speeds

Deco WiFi speeds

Deco WiFi speeds
Deco WiFi speeds
2024-02-10 20:24:29

Hi all, I am after some help. I've had deco M5 around the house for a while with a virgin router turned into a modem. all good with good WiFi speeds. 

I have switched from virgin to city fibre with vodaphone 900mbs. The speed when I test to my main deco is great average around 800mbps but my WiFi is down to around 50mbps even from the main deco and I cannot fathom why. 

my setup is vodaphkne router with Ethernet cable to my main deco then I have another 3 decos around the place. No matter which deco I am at I get around 50mbps. 

why do I not get the faster speeds anymore via WiFi? 

also Just in case it's important I have changed the vodaphkne router to the same network name and password as the deco network as I thought I would be adding another wireless transmitter. I have tried changing this but it doesn't affect the deco speeds.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco WiFi speeds
2024-02-10 22:02:34

@Nufc123

Hey and Welcome!

Hopefully we should be able to help you!  

My main question would be for you, what are you looking to get speed wise over the WiFi?  If you are happy enough with ~450mbps over WiFi then we can likely get you there, if you want faster that may be an issue. 

Just a bit of background for you.  The M5 is a WiFi5 device (also known as AC), this means it has a maximum of 1300mbps but that is combined over both 5ghz and 2.4ghz frequencies.   The vast majority of Laptops / Desktops / Phones won't connect to both frequencies at the same time so cant get this 1300, therefore you use either 2.4 or 5ghz.   ideally, you will want to use 5ghz as its faster.   

OK so assuming you are connected on 5ghz, its max speed is 866mbps, you wont get anywhere near this as it is a theoretical max, in reality its around 50% so assume 450mbps speeds over WiFi.  This isnt a fault, or Deco thing.. its just the nature of WiFi in general, once you add open space/air it has a massive overhead.  Claimed speeds are contentious (like MPG claims for your car vs real world)

Ok so if you are getting around 50mbps then its likely you are connected using the 2.4ghz frequency, its massively slower due to the airspace being contended (phones, tvs, microwave etc).  Check the deco app and see what connection you have, is it 2.4 or 5ghz.  Even post a screenie here if you wish.  The fact you are getting the same speed everywhere indicates to me its the 2.4ghz.  

Also what mode are you running for the Deco?  Is it router mode or AP mode?   if you havent changed it its likely Router mode.    

also Just in case it's important I have changed the vodaphkne router to the same network name and password as the deco network as I thought I would be adding another wireless transmitter. I have tried changing this but it doesn't affect the deco speeds.

Honestly.. would advise you to turn off the WiFi on your Vodafone Router.   In short, even with the same name and password it wont work as part of the Deco, the 2 systems wont talk.  It will cause you more issues in the long run, best stick to ALL Deco, or ALL Vodafone.  dont mix them.

If you can report back

• the Mode your Deco is in
  • what connection you have to your phone / laptop / test device that would be a start.   
  • what device you are testing with
  • what you expectation are

Now.. if you want to get the full 900 (or even close to that) over WiFi, you need to upgrade your Deco.  The new WiFi6 and WiFi7 (AX and BE) are faster and can get you full speed, provided the device you are using works with it. 

Options
2024-02-11 11:41:56

@Philbert thanks for the reply. 

to answer the questions

• the Mode your Deco is in - WiFi router and not AP
  • what connection you have to your phone / laptop / test device that would be a start - I'm using the app speed test on my iPhone. But also the Speedtest on the deco app which I believe just uses the Ethernet connection to test and not the WiFi.   
  • what device you are testing with - iPhone
  • what you expectation are - pretty much what you said. I was getting over 100mbps with the virgin using Speedtest so I would like to at least double that or increase. 

• I've disabled WiFi on my router
  • my phone is connecting via 2.4

thanks again

Options
2024-02-11 13:33:39

@Nufc123 

Hey Again

Thanks for the reply!    Ok so if you are connected at 2.4ghz that is likely the first thing to check. In the Deco app check that both 2.4ghz and 5ghz is enabled, this is under MORE  >  WIFI SETTINGS

If it is enabled, try forgetting the connection on your iphone and reconnect when standing close, see if it get 5ghz.   Devices should move freely between 2.4 and 5ghz as needed, however its not uncommon for iphones to become sticky and not move, seen it plenty of times.    When on 2.4ghz your speed will be a lot lower, if you get 100mbps you are going well, you really need to be on 5ghz nowadays and that should get you around 400mbps

The Deco app only tests the speed from the Main Deco to the internet and, to be honest its a bit erratic.   Using a website like  FAST  DOT COM  which is owned by netflix will give you a much more accurate result. 

If you have disabled WiFi on the router that is perfect.. 

You may however want to consider switching to Access Point mode.  As you are not using the Main Deco as your router (you are using vodafone router) you could consider switching its mode in the App to AP Mode.  This basically tells the deco that Vodafone will hand out the addresses etc and do the heavy lifting, therefore it will just handle the WiFi.     If you do switch, you will notice you wont get an 192.168.68.x    address anymore, rather an address from the router which is likely 192.168.1.x  or 0.x 

Lastly.. you are using an iphone...  its not the recommended way to test this as they lie to you (sorry).  Apple hardware is designed for battery life vs everything else and therefore it will choose the lower power 2.4ghz and reduce the power it transmits at when it can.   As a network engineer, when testing these things you can rarely trust Apple devices to be honest with you, if you have a windows or android device that would be better.   If you dont.. then ensure you are connected to main on your iphone when testing and manually check it hasnt moved you to 2.4

Give that a try and see how you get on.   Curious if you get a much improved speed on 5ghz (think you will)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 242

Replies: 3

Related Articles