Web Filtering/URL Filtering Problem
Web Filtering/URL Filtering Problem
2024-03-07 12:46:03 - last edited 2024-03-08 02:18:47
Model: TL-ER6120  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Hey guys,

I have an issue with web filtering/url filtering

I would like to block few websites for my organization but by some reason not every single one of them got restricted. 

I have tried to create group with all the websites i want and then to assign deny policy to that group for Any time period. 

And some of the websites are denied, other - still accessable. 

I have tried with URL path/keywords as well and again - some of them are getting blocked while other are still visible. 

I follow this guide here

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/188/

Can someone tells me what is wrong with the configuration. 

It is just not make any sense to block half of the websites and not the other half while they are in the same group with the same policy assign to it. 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Web Filtering/URL Filtering Problem-Solution
2024-03-08 02:18:44 - last edited 2024-03-08 02:20:22

Hi @SonicX 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Configuration Guide How to Configure Web Filtering to Block Sites

Explained that in the note area. Not gonna be effective on certain web due to their domain and subdomains.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Web Filtering/URL Filtering Problem-Solution
2024-03-08 02:18:44 - last edited 2024-03-08 02:20:22

Hi @SonicX 

Configuration Guide How to Configure Web Filtering to Block Sites

Explained that in the note area. Not gonna be effective on certain web due to their domain and subdomains.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Web Filtering/URL Filtering Problem
2024-03-08 10:18:23

@Clive_A 

I have already tried this and it does not working especially for a gambling websites which is my goal.

By some reason I can block them for a while but they are accessible after one day lets say. 

How to stop them bypass my rules and policies?

Options
Re:Web Filtering/URL Filtering Problem
2024-03-11 00:52:54

Hi @SonicX 

SonicX wrote

@Clive_A 

I have already tried this and it does not working especially for a gambling websites which is my goal.

By some reason I can block them for a while but they are accessible after one day lets say. 

How to stop them bypass my rules and policies?

In the note, I have pointed out that some webs may change to different domains or subdomains. For a once-for-all solution, I'd recommend you use a DNS server like AdGuard or anything like that. Use a daily updated filter list to prevent such a thing.

You can do something similar but you have to figure out a pattern in its domains. But this still may happen if they change its domain to something entirely different and you are supposed to maintain that list yourself.

So, I would recommend you go for a DNS server like that. Or change your DNS to a public one that hosts Ad-block and safe browsing. Like Cloudflare and AdGuard Home where I recall they have some kind of safe DNS servers for people. This DNS has to be set to LAN settings, DNS. If necessary, you can set it to the WAN as well.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 153

Replies: 3

Related Articles