EAP225- Outdoor Range

EAP225- Outdoor Range
EAP225- Outdoor Range
2024-03-10 20:25:28
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.1.1

Hello everyone,

I have just bought the EAP225- Outdoor and it's working fine with full speed. The problem is, it's working with full speed within 2 meters!

Even though it's mentioned in the device specification that for 2.4G it can reach up to 200+ meters and 5G can reach up to 300+ meters, after reaching 10+ meters network is no longer showing (2.4G and 5G). I am not sure if there is a specific settings I should apply to at least get a covergae for 30 meters or if I am missing something!

Note that 10 meters within the same floor and still not showing (no isolated walls or something).

Please help!

Options
16 Reply
Re:EAP225- Outdoor Range
2024-03-11 06:53:28

Hi @Rl8x 

In fact, the range is based on the real environment. The distance stated in the device specification is tested in a very ideal and open environment. In a real environment, there is a lot of interference that will limit the range. Also, as the communication is bidirectional, the distance also depends on the device's ability to receive the signal.

"Based on field tests. The real transmission range may vary, according to the environment, receiving device, etc." The statement has already been mentioned on our promotions page.

You can try adjusting the channel and channel width to see if the Wi-Fi signal can go further, and you can also try different devices for testing. Adjusting the transmission power is also a good choice.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-11 14:26:56

Hi  @Hank21 ,

While buying it, I wasn't expecting to reach 200+ meters because as you said interference outdoor will limit the range. However, the device range is approximatly 3 meters only! 

From 200+ meters (as mentioned) to 3 meters only I don't believe the problem is the interference I think there is a problem with the device itself. 

For now, I will try your solution with the channel width and the transmission power. Should I keep the channel width lower to get high coverage or higer? It is on Auto for 5G and 2.4G. 

Thank you. 

Options
2024-03-12 01:54:57 - last edited 2024-03-12 03:28:55

@Rl8x 

For more information, please refer to the following link: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2511/.

To find a less crowded channel, it is recommended to download a Wi-Fi analyzer tool. 

Have you used the original power adapter to power the device? Additionally, you may want to try replacing the Ethernet cable.

Also, please take a look at this link:https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/kb/detail/298

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-12 09:39:28

Dear @Hank21 ,

I will check and thank you very much for your help.

Btw, I am not using the power adapter that came with the device. The device is connected to a PoE switch that is capable of the three standards 802.3af/at/bt and the device only needs 802.3af, which I believe already receiving enough power.

Regarding the cable, I am using a new 40 meters cat6 cable and the device is working on 1000mbps. For now, I will leave the cable my last option to change since it is the hardest to check/change in my situation.

Thanks again and I'll be waiting for your reply if you have any news/solutions that may solve my issue!

Options
2024-03-13 01:45:06

@Rl8x 

You installed the two white dipole antennas, and positioned them at a compound 45' angle?

Did you ever power up the unit without those antennas being connected?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-03-13 07:41:34

Dear  @d0ugmac1 ,

Yes. I have installed the two antennas that came with device and no, I have NOT power the device without the antennas connected.

To make sure, there is no option in the settings that I need to enable for the antennas right?

Also, may you please explain why the antennas should be positioned at a 45 angle?

Maybe this will solve my problem!!

Thanks a lot for your help and I'll be waiting for your reply!!

Options
2024-03-13 12:36:16

@Rl8x 

Sounds like your unit is defective then, not that I'm saying 300m for 5.8Ghz is remotely real, but you should still see 100Mbps grade signal at 30m.

The antenna position improves longer range communications by offering different spatial diversity options, but it's like the 'last 5%' not the first 90%.

Options
2024-03-14 08:09:50 - last edited 2024-03-14 08:11:10

Dear  @d0ugmac1 ,

Actually this is all what I want. 50Mbps within 30 meters range is more than enough.

May you please explain this more?

"The antenna position improves longer range communications by offering different spatial diversity options, but it's like the 'last 5%' not the first 90%."

I didn't understand what do you mean by the last 5% not the first 90%.

Thank you very much and will be waiting for your reply!

Options
2024-03-14 12:42:18

@Rl8x 

That device should absolutely do 50Mbps at 30m...possibly even at 2.4G depending on the local RF environment.

Are you able to measure the signal strength (RSSI) from the device using an app on a phone or similar?  At about 1m, you should be seeing a strong signal in the range of -30 to -50 dBm.  At 20m that will likely drop into the -70 to -80 dBm range.  As long as you are above -90dBm at your desired use point, you should have >10Mbps of performance.

By the last 5%, I mean that most of the work is done by the radio+antenna.  By tilting the antennae into a V (technically more a canted L ) you create a 90' phase alignment between the antennae which means one sends a signal oriented on 0' and the other 90', commonly referred to as H(orizontal) and V(ertical) polarization.  Signals/waves that are 90' out of phase with each other effectively don't 'see' each other during transit.  So, in complicated RF environments (noisy, obstructions, distance), having the ability to send the signal at least 2 different ways is often helpful, likewise on the reception end.  Even if there is a mismatch, ie station A is a V and station B is just an I, you can still leverage either polarization, you just lose some (the 5%**) gain/power due to the antenna mismatch.  **Not even remotely close to an actual number.

Options
2024-03-16 14:12:22 - last edited 2024-03-16 14:15:39

@d0ugmac1 

I have tried to set the antennas to 0' (L) and 90' (R), 90' (L) and 0' (R) the range decreased. 

I have attached two pictures showing the area and the angle of the antennas (after trying, this angle is giving the best range)

Please check and let me know if you have any ideas/notes!

(The second image in the second reply) 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 628

Replies: 16

Related Articles