High pings between the device and gateway

2024-03-15 11:41:02

My setup consists of the following equipment:

1x ER8411 (v1)

2x TL-SG2210MP (v2 & v3)

2x EAP245 (v3 & v4)

I'm running a ping from my laptop (over Wifi) to the gateway which is averaging about 5ms, is this normal because it seems very high to me?

Also, every so often the ping to the gateway will increase to several hundreds milliseconds for prolonged periods of time. What is causing this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:High pings between the device and gateway
2024-03-15 17:00:02 - last edited 2024-03-15 17:00:43

@Buffalo-Run 

when I ping it is 1-5 ms. I think that 5 ms is within. but if you have several 100 ms,  then there is something wrong somewhere.

I see you have some old ac access points, these are probably not the fastest either.

I have ER8411 SG2428P switch and EAP670 Access Point. between my computer and router.

my computer have Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz network card.

Options
2024-03-16 12:31:37 - last edited 2024-03-16 12:31:57

@Buffalo-Run 

You have to take into consideration that you have a high-end router and switch and a very LOW-end AP.

5ms on the AP that you are using is good. 

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2024-03-18 02:53:56

Hi @Buffalo-Run 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Wired should be averaging at less than 1ms or 1-3ms. This is considered normal. If it is WIFI, depending on the distance, this can vary largely from 10-70ms. I consider this as a normal latency.

I recommend you test this right next to it, no fast roaming or mesh to avoid roaming or unnecessary latency. If you can get an average under 50ms, this is good. There are no hardware or software issues with them.

I think you should avoid long cables, and long distances (bad signal), or consider your topology.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 192

Replies: 3

Related Articles