Really bad WiFi Experience, please help!

2024-03-30 21:44:20
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: EAP615-Wall(US) v1.0

Hello, I purchased the following network devices so I wanted to improve my home network but Is not working for me :(

ER605 v2.0 [2.2.4 Build 20240119 Rel.44368]

- OC200 v1.0 [1.28.2 Build 20240110 Rel.78776]

SG2008P v3.20 [3.20.1 Build 20240115 Rel.72847]

- 3 pieces of: EAP615-Wall(US) v1.0 [1.2.4 Build 20240312 Rel. 38105]

Everything is running the last firmware as I don't have any notification to upgrade any of those, I have also create 2 VLANs and 2 WiFi networks as follows:

My home is a two story home, I have 2 APs on 1st floor and 1 AP on the 2nd floor as follows:

1st Floor 2.4GHz:

1st Floor 5GHz-1:

1st Floor 5GHz-2:

2nd Floor 2.4 GHz:

2nd Floor 5GHz:

The Issue

Everything is new, I have like 4 days with this new setup but the WiFi is so bad, my kids iPads, my wife and I phones are constantly loosing internet while browsing the internet or seeing reels or video over the WiFi, is a horrible experience. The wired network works perfectly!

I have done some test trying to determine the origin of the issue but I wasn't able to find it, however, I have tested the following:

Having my mac (wired) pinging constantly my phone and then just passing reel after reel on instagram I always get perfect pings to the phone (< 50 ms) even when the phone or iPads are struggling or freezing the video as if there no internet at all, even some times I get the phone/iPads saying that if want to keep trying the wifi as it has no conectivity ...

If I can constantly ping the device how is loosing the internet ? also while doing this I'm also pinging google and loading videos so I know as a fact that the network have actually connection to the internet. This only happens on wireless devices using the WiFi regardless is the main one or the guest one.

All APs are connected through tested cables Cat6, so MESH is off as is not needed in my setup.

I have also find and read the following thread with no luck:

- https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/223876

- https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/167024

I have tried as much as I can with no luck, I'm super dissapointed and frustrated with this :(, I'm not an expert but I think I can manage with basic stuff pretty well.

I also have scheduled the IA WAN optimization which have reported:

Options
13 Reply
Re:Really bad WiFi Experience, please help!
2024-03-31 13:43:58

@LoneGeekRanger 

HI, I have all the same gear as you at one site.  One thing I can suggest is to remove the 6Ghz band from the Dunder MIfflin SSID, I have had issues with 615-walls in the past (older firmware anyways) when the 6Ghz is defined on the controller, but not physically supported by the EAP.  Change the controller's SSID definition to remove 6Ghz (untick the box, save) and then power cycle all the EAPs.

Also, we don't know what your local RF environment is like, but I would do your testing on the 5Ghz band, not the 2.4Ghz (as it's usually the one that's over used).  You can do this by also, and just temporarily, removing the 2.4G band from the SSID definition.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-04-01 06:41:44

Hi@LoneGeekRanger 

What about adding a test SSID without any VLAN nor rate limit in 5GHz only, and select the WPA mode as WPA/WPA2-PSK / Auto? Please do not include the WPA3 in the WPA mode setting.

Furthermore, when connecting to the test SSID, will you get the IP address normally? Please also go to Clients page and select the connecting wireless device, what is the Statistics such as signal, TX/RX rate?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-01 12:06:57

Hi  @d0ugmac1, thanks for your interest 

I disable the 6GHz band and I'm gonna be testing today only that, then I'm going to disable the 2.4GHz, please give me a couple of days to complete both.

About my RF environment and as I have an iPhone I can't use a WiFi analyzer app, however I found out that the Airport Utility does something like it

I capture this read standing next to the AP on the 2nd floor, hope this helps

Options
2024-04-01 12:12:17
Hi @Hank21, Thank you for your interest and help. I'm going to give a try to this and let you know how it goes :)
Options
2024-04-01 12:15:52

@LoneGeekRanger 

Go go the client list... click on the 3 dots, click on customized columns, and check signal, rx ,trx, wifi channel.

This will give you an idea of clients signal strength.  Make sure it;s below -70 on both bands.  If it above -70 on the 5ghz enable mini rssi oat -73.  This will let the clients roam between bands properly.  

Lets confirm your clients have good signal.  If not, you may need to add or move in wall APs.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2024-04-01 12:17:21

@LoneGeekRanger 

Also those heat maps are garbage dude.  I wouldnt rely on those.  

This goes for any vendor.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2024-04-01 12:25:04

@Hank21 about the Client's page, in total I have like 16 wireless devices in total 

Options
2024-04-01 13:28:18

@LoneGeekRanger 

I think we can safely say your 2.4G environment is pretty busy, and performance could suffer.  What country are you in, we can probably pick 5.8G channels with max power next.

Options
2024-04-01 14:47:05
I live in Chile
Options
2024-04-01 15:04:46

@LoneGeekRanger 

Cool, I spent some time on a WiFi project at the University in Santiago many moons ago...

I would recommend you use 5Ghz channels in the 149-157 range.  I would recommend based on this

You can use 149,153, 157 if you set the channels to 20Mhz.  If you set channels to 40Mhz, then use 151 and 159, and since you have 3 APs, use 159 for the one in the RF 'middle' and use 151 for the APs farthest apart from each other.  In all cases, set the power to 'High'.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 543

Replies: 13

Related Articles