EAP615-Wall: mixed wired and wireless backhaul

2024-04-01 20:09:04 - last edited 2024-04-03 18:53:21
Model: EAP615-Wall  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Now that the EAP615-Wall comes with Mesh support, I'm wondering whether the below setup, mixing wired and wireless backhaul, can work.

The choice for the EAP615-Wall is partly due to the need of a wall device as well as cutting corners by employing the extra LAN ports provided by the EAP615 to connect some devices directly to the wireless APs.

Many thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP615-Wall: mixed wired and wireless backhaul-Solution
2024-04-03 18:51:07 - last edited 2024-04-03 18:53:21

@p4f 

I haven't put my 615's in mesh mode yet, but I have a lot 225-outdoors meshed.  What you are proposing should work just fine.

In short, you are just powering via the ethernet jack, it will not detect any 'Ethernet Link' and so will not assume it's a wired/root AP.  It should begin broadcasting packets on the hidden 5G mesh SSID, and your one 'wired' 615AP should 'see' these and the controller should then report that the dummy AP's are available to be adopted.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP615-Wall: mixed wired and wireless backhaul
2024-04-02 09:23:46

p4f wrote

Now that the EAP615-Wall comes with Mesh support, I'm wondering whether the below setup, mixing wired and wireless backhaul, can work.

The choice for the EAP615-Wall is partly due to the need of a wall device as well as cutting corners by employing the extra LAN ports provided by the EAP615 to connect some devices directly to the wireless APs.

Many thanks!

Hi @p4f 

If the WiFi coverage of the EAP-Wall series can cover the whole network topology you mentioned, yes they should work via the mesh system.

But please note that the actual wireless data throughput and wireless coverage are not guaranteed. They will vary due to factors including network conditions, client limitations, and environmental factors, including building materials, obstacles, volume and density of traffic, and client location.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-04-02 13:00:01

@p4f 

Yes. This is precisely the scenario that makes a wall unit with Mesh capability so interesting, kudos to the TPlink team that dared make it happen :)

Options
2024-04-03 16:35:34

Hi @Hank21, thank you very much for your response.

I agree this may not be the best solution and wireless may suffer. My main concern is about EAP615-Wall being effectively capable of activating wireless backhaul. 

To get power, those wireless EAP615-Walls on the right of the diagram, would need a PoE injector (or PoE switch). However, there will be power but no data (hence calling them "dummy" in the diagram).

I'm unsure how EAP615 will react to this "atypical" situation:

a) Would backhaul work wirelessly, despite having the "dummy" PoE injector connected to the AP?

b) Or because there is a PoE injector connected to it, it would stay operating as a wired AP and as a consequence would not actually work in mesh mode.

Many thanks

Options
Re:EAP615-Wall: mixed wired and wireless backhaul-Solution
2024-04-03 18:51:07 - last edited 2024-04-03 18:53:21

@p4f 

I haven't put my 615's in mesh mode yet, but I have a lot 225-outdoors meshed.  What you are proposing should work just fine.

In short, you are just powering via the ethernet jack, it will not detect any 'Ethernet Link' and so will not assume it's a wired/root AP.  It should begin broadcasting packets on the hidden 5G mesh SSID, and your one 'wired' 615AP should 'see' these and the controller should then report that the dummy AP's are available to be adopted.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 154

Replies: 4

Related Articles