VLAN specific IPs from DHCP in TL-SG3428X-M2

2024-04-03 15:37:39 - last edited 2024-04-03 17:22:15
Model: TL-SG3428XPP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 BUILD 20230319 rel 70061

I created multiple VLANs on the switch. Then I enabled DHCP server and created pools. What I want that client personal computers get IP address from DHCP server depending on VLAN (ie: PCs connected to ports belonging to VLAN 10 get IPs in range 192.168.10.X, PCs connected to ports belonging to VLAN 20 get IPs in range 192.168.20.X, and so on).

What is procedure to achive this on my switch (without separate DHCP server!) ? I got lost in all the options.

Regards,

Sašo

Note: I changed subject from "VLAN specific DHCP server in TL-SG3428X-M2" to "VLAN specific IPs from DHCP in TL-SG3428X-M2" ... as I understand, there is only one DHCP server on this switch ... i just want to know, how to configure such functionality.

Options
5 Reply
Re:VLAN specific IPs from DHCP in TL-SG3428X-M2
3 weeks ago

@SasoC 

Maybe I wasn't clear ... I want to achieve the functionality/scenario, described here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1630/ ... but using only my TL-SG3428X-M2 switch.

As I understand TL-SG3428X-M2 has "enough" L3 features to allow this.

Or maybe I don't understand this correctly and there must be always present separate device as DHCP server? In that case I can use my OPNSense for this purpose. But the whole point of purchasing TL-SG3428X-M2 was to manage all VLAN stuff inside the switch.

Regards,

Sašo

Options
3 weeks ago

@SasoC 

If the DHCP server is configured on the switch and running, you probably just need to configure the access ports correctly. Have each access port untagged in a single VLAN and its PVID set to the VLAN's ID. 

Kris K
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi @SasoC 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

SasoC wrote

@SasoC 

Maybe I wasn't clear ... I want to achieve the functionality/scenario, described here: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1630/ ... but using only my TL-SG3428X-M2 switch.

As I understand TL-SG3428X-M2 has "enough" L3 features to allow this.

Or maybe I don't understand this correctly and there must be always present separate device as DHCP server? In that case I can use my OPNSense for this purpose. But the whole point of purchasing TL-SG3428X-M2 was to manage all VLAN stuff inside the switch.

Regards,

Sašo

Not sure if you need Internet access, but simply creating the DHCP servers on the switch does not guarantee the Internet access. DHCP is dynamic assigning the LAN IP.

You may also refer to this guide:

Or How to configure switch as DHCP server on Standalone mode

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago

KJK wrote

@SasoC 

If the DHCP server is configured on the switch and running, you probably just need to configure the access ports correctly. Have each access port untagged in a single VLAN and its PVID set to the VLAN's ID. 

@KJK , thank you for the answer, I think I didn't configure correctly VLAN interface or DHCP pool. I will let you know when I will make a progress.

Sašo

Options
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A , thank you for the answer and the hint. I do have OPNSense router/firewall in the configuration (instead of ER605) and it provides me Internet. And I want to use switch as a DHCP server instead of OPNSense (like in your example with ER605 and TL-SG3428X). And I want to use ACLs on switch instead of firewall rules on OPNSense for enabling/disabling inter-vlan access (hope I understand this the right way frown).

I think I made some mess with configuration of VLAN interfaces and DHCP pools on the switch. I will try to repeat exactly the steps, provided by you and I will let you know of a outcome.

Sašo

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 237

Replies: 5

Related Articles