Best practices for having multiple trunks and VLANs going to router

2024-04-06 19:40:42
Model: TL-SG3428XPP-M2  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I'm redoing my network and I had some questions about the best practices for employing multiple trunks (without a LAGG) from my router (OPNSense) to my TL-SG3428X-M2 switch. Currently my setup is as follows:

Router:

• igc1: (Will be used for wired LAN)
    • VLAN0.10: Management
    • VLAN0.11: Lan
  • igc2: (For EAP773 Access Point)
    • VLAN0.13: Personal
    • VLAN0.14: Guest
    • VLAN0.15: IOT
    • VLAN0.16: Cameras
  • igc3: (Will be used for Server/Smart Home)
    • VLAN0.20: Server
    • VLAN0.21: Smart Home Server

Switch:

Port 22, 23, 24: Connected to igc1-3 respectively with tagged vlans as described above.

Port 1-2: Untagged (PVID 10)

Port 3-6: Untagged (PVID 11)

Port 21: Tagged with igc2 vlans (vlan 13-16), and management vlan (vlan0.10) for the access point managemennt vlan

Port 7: Untagged (PVID 20)

Port 8: Untagged (PVID 21)

I have connected all three of these ports (igc1-3) to my switch directly without any LAGG set up. The idea is for each of the networks to have their own dedicated 2.5gb line to the router to prevent saturation of the line especially if multiple people are accessing resources on the net (e.g. devices connected to the wifi streaming from the server while devices connected to LAN are downloading/streaming multiple things at once). While I have set up everything, and it all "works" I want to make sure I'm not doing anything that's going to have security implications or cause issues (e.g. Spanning Tree).

Are there any issues with my setup that can cause problems or slowdowns? I also at some point will like to do Inter-Vlan communication on the switch itself to avoid going back to the firewall for specific applications like streaming media from the server, but I'm new to Layer 3 switching so I'm not quite confident in the Layer 3 interfaces that are available to use and/or I can incorporate that with ACLs since I was not able to successfully set up the Layer 3 Interfaces to get VLAN 13 <-> 20 to talk to each other.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Best practices for having multiple trunks and VLANs going to router
2024-04-06 23:15:54

@DalanNet 

I think the best practice is to have a single trunk on a LAG and control the flow with QoS, if necessary. That leads to the best use of bandwidth and provides redundancy. And, yes, inter-VLAN routing on a switch is even better if performance is of high importance.

Also, it looks to me that you have vlans 13-16 and 10 on two different ports, which means loops if STP is not enabled.

Kris K
Options
Re:Best practices for having multiple trunks and VLANs going to router
2024-04-07 01:37:01
I recognized that VLAN 10 on two ports might cause issues but I figured since it was a management vlan and it wasn't going to be used 99.9% of the time it wouldn't be a major problem but I'll go ahead and remove that. Aside from that, my setup doesn't have any glaring issues correct? The reason I went for the 3 trunks was to avoid the potential complications a LAG might cause especially since generally speaking the traffic from the three trunks would be isolated to their own lane most of the time but I could see a LAG having other benefits as well (i.e. Redundancy)
Options