Unable to adopt from anything but vlan1

2024-04-19 22:20:56 - last edited 2024-04-19 22:28:30
Model: TL-SG3428XMP  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I can get the controller on VLAN 2 to see the devices interfaces on VLAN 1 by plugging the controller IP into the switches.  The adoption process fails due to communication timeouts, I assume the switches are trying to report home to an IP address and being routed correctly there, and then the adoption process is trying to communicate with the controller as if it were on vlan 1

If I delete the VLAN one interface from the switch in standalone mode so that the only interface that is left is VLAN 2, the controller on VLAN 2 cannot see it. If I make it all samesies in terms of interface and VLANs it doesn't work, except if everything is the same and on VLAN I.

Using the discovery tool has the exact same results. The adoption process starts and times out

It appears the controller has to live on VLAN 1 to adopt devices, and I have not been able to find anywhere to set the management VLAN ID in the switches in standalone mode. 

Any way to do this without hopping my controller between vlan 1 and vlan 2 every time i buy an omada tplink device?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Unable to adopt from anything but vlan1
2024-04-22 01:58:24

Hi @Challpesa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

There is no management VLAN in standalone mode.

Either follow this guide step by step:

Or try this article:

But, I think you might need to follow the first one and follow the steps. It is clearly written that you should be doing the port config prior to the discovery utility.

Before you figure out the key steps, try something new.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-04-22 03:25:13 - last edited 2024-04-22 03:34:47

@Clive_A 

This is not helpful as the second step is go to devices and click switch A

These guides are about how to remotely push management VLAN changes to edge devices from the controller. The problem is I can't even adopt them without using vlan 1/untagged 

I can't remotely configure things I can't adopt.

sad

Options
2024-04-22 03:42:17

Hi @Challpesa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Challpesa wrote

@Clive_A 

This is not helpful as the second step is go to devices and click switch A

These guides are about how to remotely push management VLAN changes to edge devices from the controller. The problem is I can't even adopt them without using vlan 1/untagged 

I can't remotely configure things I can't adopt.

sad

Diagram and your current setup. With the IP marked up.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-04-22 04:05:35 - last edited 2024-04-22 04:08:42

@Clive_A 

It's not a networking issue because I can ping each device from each other device

The controller lives on VLAN 102 

It has a 172.28.0.x address 

The four TP link switches start out on VLAN 1 as they always do, they have had a second interface added with VLAN 102 and they all have 172.28.0.x static IP addresses. 

The controller and the switches can communicate over the network 

Despite having network connectivity the controller adoption process fails unless the controller is moved to VLAN 1.

I understand what the problem is, I understand how to work around the problem, my question is is there an easier way to do this than to move my controller's VLAN every time I get a new TP-Link device

Options
2024-04-22 04:22:47 - last edited 2024-04-22 04:23:23

It appears I'm not the first one to notice this issue

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/590406

It is also worth noting if you delete the VLAN 1 interface from one of the switches in this scenario, then it won't show up in the omada adoption list at all.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 203

Replies: 5

Related Articles