EAP650 mesh nodes roaming clients no connection (until EAP restarted)

EAP650 mesh nodes roaming clients no connection (until EAP restarted)

14 Reply
Re:EAP650 mesh nodes roaming clients no connection (until EAP restarted)
a week ago

@Munch1 

Happy the advice helped :)

Sounds like you can safely fix your 5.8G radios at 40Mhz and enjoy life now.  Honestly, there's not many applications where you'd even notice the difference between 70 and 100 Mbps.

The transmit power question has a few more nuances to it, mostly around how much external inteference from other wifi systems there is, as well as how close your own APs are to each other.  My go-to analogy is standing in a large room, how loud do you have to speak to be heard if the room is a) full of many people all having a multitude of conversations b) sparsely populated by a few groups having quiet conversations in the corners?

Because the meshing uses the 5.8G radios, reducing their power levels reduces the amount of signal available and makes it more susceptible to competing noise.  A lot of this can be mitigated with judicious channel selection, but some people have no choice with their APs but to 'shout as loud as possible' in order to 'drown out' the local competition.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
a week ago

@Munch1 

On the min RSSI question, again very subjective based on your location.  You will need to actually measure the AP power in your desired 'transition' zones...and you may find surprises...ie expected signal strengths are different than what you would have expected...RF is a funny creature.

Options
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

@d0ugmac1 

Thanks so much for all the information! RSSI is indeed very subjective - I have moved one of the APs about 5cm and now got a -65dBm link between them.

I have left the 5GHz on 20Mhz wide, but unfortunately still have the same issue as previous with roaming clients not working when they roam to the Bureau after a while.

Does the RSSI threshold have any impact on meshed APs, i.e. will it disconnect other APs with lower signal?

EDIT - just realised whilst I'd set the wired AP to HIGH I hadn't realised the recieving AP Tx power could be independently set and still had it on Low! Now corrected, mesh signal is 57dBm and we'll see how it goes...

Options
Wednesday

@Munch1 

-57dBm is great for a mesh link!  

Options