Starlink with EAP225 mesh for rural buildings

2024-05-08 20:54:29
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi - would appreciate someone confirming my plan to use the EAP225 outdoor AP in mesh mode to provide internet access to an out-building approx 150m from the main building.  We are rural so rely on Starlink for internet.  System design is a pair of EAP225's - the primary AP will be directly connected to the Starlink router via ethernet adapter and powered via the passive POE adapter (provided); the client AP (150m away) will be powered via passive POE with NO LAN hardwire.  I believe this is the purpose of the Mesh system since all backhaul is wireless via the APs.  Since this is in stand-alone mode, I should be able to configure and monitor the system via the Omada App...no need for controller, switches, etc.  Thanks.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Starlink with EAP225 mesh for rural buildings
2024-05-09 09:05:39

tbafrique wrote

Hi - would appreciate someone confirming my plan to use the EAP225 outdoor AP in mesh mode to provide internet access to an out-building approx 150m from the main building.  We are rural so rely on Starlink for internet.  System design is a pair of EAP225's - the primary AP will be directly connected to the Starlink router via ethernet adapter and powered via the passive POE adapter (provided); the client AP (150m away) will be powered via passive POE with NO LAN hardwire.  I believe this is the purpose of the Mesh system since all backhaul is wireless via the APs.  Since this is in stand-alone mode, I should be able to configure and monitor the system via the Omada App...no need for controller, switches, etc.  Thanks.

Hi @tbafrique 

If you would like to build the mesh network with EAP225-Outdoor, please note that the controller should be required. Please visit this link for detailed information on Mesh functionality on EAP. To set up the wireless Mesh on the controller, please go to the link for instructions:

However, actual wireless coverage is not guaranteed in such a distance. We may suggest you have the CPE series or EAP211-Bridge/EAP215-Bridge Kit to build the point to point connection. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-09 10:43:41

@Hank21 - Thank you - I will definitely add the controller if I go with the EAP225 solution.  Regarding your suggestion about the bridge kits, I looked at that originally but was concerned that the signal beam is so narrow (70 deg per specs) that wireless devices that move behind the slave AP (out-building) will lose wifi.  But I could add an additional AP and connect to the slave AP via ethernet port and that would provide greater coverage. It also appears the bridge kit does NOT need a controller if operating in the stand-alone mode, just the Omada App.  Do you concur?

Options
2024-05-09 11:29:39
Hi, The EAP225 Outdoor will cover the distance of 150m no problem. What you will need is the OC200 Controller and a Omada POE switch like TL-SG2210P because the OC200 Controller needs to draw POE power and you hardwire the EAP225 Outdoor APs with this POE switch and get them adopted and connected. Please use the provided POE injectors and not directly connected for first adoption. Once it is in the Omada Cloud then you can plug it directly to the switch and it will recognise the AP. You can then put the other AP away from the main building using the included POE injector. The process is fairly simple and you will need direct line of sight for the APs to be connected. Good luck!
Options