Static routes between two ER7206 routers not working

2024-05-14 19:28:28 - last edited 2024-05-15 02:25:16
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hello,

I'm having an issue with Static Routes between two ER7206 routers.  I am trying to set-up a network that "simulates" the internet -- but really, I just want to have traffic from one subnet on one ER7206 travel to a another subnet on a separate ER7206 router.

I have the two ER7206 routers connected via their WAN2 ports.  Both WAN2 ports are set for Static IPs with the configuration listed below, with Static routes configured for the subnet on the other router.  From a PC on either subnet, I can ping the local router IP, and the WAN IP of both routers.  However I cannot ping or telnet any PCs on the opposite subnet.  tracert fails after two hops -- the two hops that succeed are the local LAN IP of the router, and the local WAN IP of the router.  It does not get to the remote WAN port of the other router.  I even tried setting default gateways on the two WAN2 ports, but that doesn't seem to help either.

Is static routing on the ER7206 broken?  Or am I configuring something wrong?  I thought this was going to very simple but I have been struggling to get it working for the last couple days.  A somewhat detailed config list is below.  Thanks in advance!

Router 1 Config:

• WAN2:
    • IP Address: 192.168.100.4/24
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.100.2

• LAN:
    • IP Address: 192.168.0.1/24
    • DHCP Enabled

• Static Route
    • Destination IP: 193.168.2.0/24
    • Next Hop:  192.168.100.2
    • Interface: WAN2
    • Metric: 0

Router 2 Config:

• WAN2:
    • IP Address: 192.168.100.2/24
    • Default Gateway: 192.168.100.4

• LAN:
    • IP Address: 193.168.2.1/24
    • DHCP Enabled

• Static Route
    • Destination IP: 192.168.0.0/24
    • Next Hop:  192.168.100.4
    • Interface: WAN2
    • Metric: 0
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Static routes between two ER7206 routers not working-Solution
2024-05-15 02:23:58 - last edited 2024-05-15 02:25:16

Hi @mrackovan 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Initial conclusion/reaction to what you want to achieve is not possible.

mrackovan wrote

Hello,

I'm having an issue with Static Routes between two ER7206 routers.  I am trying to set-up a network that "simulates" the internet -- but really, I just want to have traffic from one subnet on one ER7206 travel to a another subnet on a separate ER7206 router.

The product is intact.

mrackovan wrote

I have the two ER7206 routers connected via their WAN2 ports.  Both WAN2 ports are set for Static IPs with the configuration listed below, with Static routes configured for the subnet on the other router.  From a PC on either subnet, I can ping the local router IP, and the WAN IP of both routers.  However I cannot ping or telnet any PCs on the opposite subnet.  tracert fails after two hops -- the two hops that succeed are the local LAN IP of the router, and the local WAN IP of the router.  It does not get to the remote WAN port of the other router.  I even tried setting default gateways on the two WAN2 ports, but that doesn't seem to help either.

Is static routing on the ER7206 broken?  Or am I configuring something wrong?  I thought this was going to very simple but I have been struggling to get it working for the last couple days.  A somewhat detailed config list is below.  Thanks in advance!

Please search about the NAT. This is due to the NAT. Not a problem caused by the Static Routing at all. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Static routes between two ER7206 routers not working-Solution
2024-05-15 02:23:58 - last edited 2024-05-15 02:25:16

Hi @mrackovan 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Initial conclusion/reaction to what you want to achieve is not possible.

mrackovan wrote

Hello,

The product is intact.

mrackovan wrote

Please search about the NAT. This is due to the NAT. Not a problem caused by the Static Routing at all. 

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 143

Replies: 1

Related Articles