Operation Fail. This command can't work in controller mode

2024-05-19 11:06:56 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: TL-SX3008F  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0

I manually set the first port to 1g speed for it to be seen on the network and for the controller to provision it. However, after provisioning, it reset the device back to 10G speed and now says "Disconnected" Status in Omada UI. I've tried using the console again to manually set the speed back to 1g (since the uplink switch is 1g), but I receive the "Operation Fail. This command can't work in controller mode." I cannot factory reset the device to update the firmware before adopting it (a second time). Please advise.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Operation Fail. This command can't work in controller mode-Solution
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

TL;DR
I'm closing this ticket as I figured out the workaround. I used KiTTY (like PUTTY, but stays connected ... or reconnects faster). I was able to interrupt the boot, and perform a factory reset that way. After that it took a while to setup a TFTP Server correctly, then updated the firmware through the console port. I did notice it detects the SFP plugged in and changes the port speed based on the SFP (which is still a problem if you don't have a 1000M to RJ45 SFP, or similar device). Since I had that (no provided by TP-Link), I logged into Omada, and provisioned the device (it still disconnected at first). I manually restarted the switch, and it came back up.

Additional Info for TP-Link:

After ALL that, I got it to work. But TP-Link please take this advice as more and more of us non-business class users WILL need TP-Link to auto-negotiate the link speed. If TP-Link fails to see this as an issue moving forward, you will fall behind in sales of 10G or fiber devices for the everyday residential user (maybe that's not really your market, but I feel it is as I use it in my home). I hope you take that feedback wholeheartedly as I currently love your hardware, software, and company. Seeing Clive_A replied so quickly gave me hope. I'm sure Clive_A would've helped me solve it, but I have technical knowledge that allowed me to keep pushing for the fix on my own more quickly.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Operation Fail. This command can't work in controller mode
2024-05-19 11:36:59

Hi  @shadowfox85 

When the controller adopts the product, it will reset its config and apply the settings from the controller to the devices you are trying to adopt.

This will revert the port to 1Gbps which fits your description.

Update your controller and the firmware to the latest one. Try the adoption again.

Note that some commands are not effective after the management has been taken over by the controller.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
Re:Operation Fail. This command can't work in controller mode

@Clive_A  My controller is on the latest firmware (1.29.4 Build 20240304 Rel.54362). It doesn't revert the port back to 1g (see attached picture). I have since told my controller to "forget" the device, but since it can't reconnect due to the link speed. I can't factory reset it in order to manually reconfigure the link speed so the controller can see and adopt it.

Options
Re:Operation Fail. This command can't work in controller mode-Solution

TL;DR
I'm closing this ticket as I figured out the workaround. I used KiTTY (like PUTTY, but stays connected ... or reconnects faster). I was able to interrupt the boot, and perform a factory reset that way. After that it took a while to setup a TFTP Server correctly, then updated the firmware through the console port. I did notice it detects the SFP plugged in and changes the port speed based on the SFP (which is still a problem if you don't have a 1000M to RJ45 SFP, or similar device). Since I had that (no provided by TP-Link), I logged into Omada, and provisioned the device (it still disconnected at first). I manually restarted the switch, and it came back up.

Additional Info for TP-Link:

After ALL that, I got it to work. But TP-Link please take this advice as more and more of us non-business class users WILL need TP-Link to auto-negotiate the link speed. If TP-Link fails to see this as an issue moving forward, you will fall behind in sales of 10G or fiber devices for the everyday residential user (maybe that's not really your market, but I feel it is as I use it in my home). I hope you take that feedback wholeheartedly as I currently love your hardware, software, and company. Seeing Clive_A replied so quickly gave me hope. I'm sure Clive_A would've helped me solve it, but I have technical knowledge that allowed me to keep pushing for the fix on my own more quickly.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 111

Replies: 3

Related Articles