Omada Switch Naming Format

2024-05-21 01:20:27 - last edited 2024-05-31 06:24:58

Background: 

This guide aims to provide insight into our Omada switch naming format.

This Article Applies to:

All Omada switches.

Naming and Differences:

Omada switch is a series of switches that the Omada solution has.

1. Four Categories of Switch:

2. Omada Product Format:

Brand

Switch Level

Model Rules

Model Example

Control Method

Omada

L3

Sx6xxx

SG6428XHP

Omada Cloud-Based Controller

Omada Software Controller

Omada Hardware Controller

Omada APP

Standalone Web GUI

L2+

Sx3xxx

SG3428MP

As above

Smart

Sx2xxx

SG2428P

As above

Easy Managed

ES2xxx

ES205G

As above

Easy Smart

DS1xxxxE

DS1024GE

Easy Smart Configuration Utility

Web GUI

Unmanaged

DS1xxxx

DS1024G

N/A

Attention:

1. In the past, Omada L2+/Smart switch's model name had TL- in front of it which indicates TP-Link. Nowadays, we have removed the TL- in the Omada L2+/Smart switch's model name. JetStream Series Upgraded to Omada Series

2. All Easy Smart and Unmanaged level switches cannot be centrally managed. Easy Smart level switches can be managed only by using Easy Smart Configuration Utility or web GUI. Unmanaged level switches cannot be managed. 

Smart/L2+/L3:

Easy Managed:

Easy Smart and Unmanaged:

Appendix:

For the Omada product line, the complete list:  Omada Product List

For the Festa product line, you may take a look at this list: Festa Product List

Omada Pro:

Omada Pro is a series of products that target ISP and contract users only.

For the Omada Pro product line, the complete list: Omada Pro Product List

Omada Pro Product Format:

Brand

Switch Level

Model Rules

Model Example

Control Method

Omada Pro

L3

S7500-xxxx

S6500-xxxx

S6500-24GP4XF

Omada Pro Cloud-Based Controller

Omada Pro Software Controller

Omada Pro Hardware Controller

Omada APP

Standalone Web GUI

L2+

S5500-xxxx

S5500-24GP4XF

As above

Smart

S4500-xxxx

S4500-24G4XF

As above

Note:

1. The content of this article is intended to provide only a preliminary understanding of the Omada switch models. This does not represent the sole naming format in the future product roadmap. The author and TP-Link reserve the right to make changes to the contents of this article without prior notice. We reserve the right to modify the content at any time, without further notification.

2. The listed information does NOT always guarantee that actual product performance will be identical as the article writes. The provided content is for informational purposes only. We are not obligated to inform you if there are any changes to product performance in future releases.

3. TP-Link Switch and Festa may not be applicable to the lists above.

4. The technical support team and forum do not provide support on Omada Pro models. If you have made the purchase, please contact the dedicated agent assigned to you.

Update Log:

May 31st , 2024:

Revised the chart and notes.

May 24th, 2024:

Revised and added some details.

May 21st, 2024:

Release of this KB.

Recommended Threads:

Common Questions About the Hardware Version and Firmware Update

• If this was helpful, welcome to give us Kudos by clicking the upward triangle below.
  • If there is anything unclear in this solution post, please feel free to comment below.
  • If you encounter such an issue, please follow the troubleshooting above to check your settings. Besides, ensure your Omada Controller and Gateway are running with the latest firmware.
  • If the issue still exists after you try the suggestion above, please feel free to comment below or contact our support team with a detailed description of your issue and the steps you have tried.

Thank you in advance for your valuable feedback!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have other off-topic issues to report? 

Welcome to > Start a New Thread < and elaborate on the issue for assistance.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada Switch Naming Format
2024-05-24 02:16:58

@Clive_A Thank you for this post. I appreciate the single letter naming scheme however I'm finding the Omada naming incredibly hard to understand now.

I've found "Omada" has been slapped on a whole heap of switches that don't appear to be manageable by Omada. Are they really "Omada" switches?

For example: https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/omada-switch-smart/sg2210p/

There is no mention of being Omada manageable but yet, it's in the Omada line up. This does not make sense and creates so much unnecessary confusion.

That's also not to mention the unmanaged switches in the Omada line up as well. Are they compatible with Omada or are they part of the Business Line up?

https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/omada-switch-unmanaged/

I hope someone in the marketing and web teams can make this clearer on the website. They need to be clearly seperated if they cannot be managed by Omada. This is not the first time I've been caught out either. I've bought a managed TP-Link switch thinking I could adopt it just to find it is not compatible.

Options
2024-05-24 02:27:39

Hi @TCWGEngineers 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TCWGEngineers wrote

@Clive_A Thank you for this post. I appreciate the single letter naming scheme however I'm finding the Omada naming incredibly hard to understand now.

I've found "Omada" has been slapped on a whole heap of switches that don't appear to be manageable by Omada. Are they really "Omada" switches?

For example: https://www.tp-link.com/au/business-networking/omada-switch-smart/sg2210p/

There is no mention of being Omada manageable but yet, it's in the Omada line up. This does not make sense and creates so much unnecessary confusion.

It is an Omada product.

For a compatible list, you should take a look at the Omada switch list. Some very old versions are not compatible with the Omada controller. For example, V1.

TCWGEngineers wrote

That's also not to mention the unmanaged switches in the Omada line up as well. Are they compatible with Omada or are they part of the Business Line up?

I hope someone in the marketing and web teams can make this clearer on the website. They need to be clearly seperated if they cannot be managed by Omada. This is not the first time I've been caught out either. I've bought a managed TP-Link switch thinking I could adopt it just to find it is not compatible.

As said, the Omada switch is separate from the L2 switch which is an unmanaged switch. They are marked as Omada but they are not controllable.

Switch is layer 2. I am only discussion the Omada product line here. My goal is to discuss Omada as much as possible. I don't intend to include all the models we have. Your provided AU website is not correct about some models. I think that requires a revision from our web team.

You should send an email to the local support team regarding that website thing.

Refer to the global site: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-switch-unmanaged/

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-05-24 02:37:23

Hi @TCWGEngineers 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TCWGEngineers wrote

I also revised some of the descriptions for better clarity.

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 645

Replies: 3

Related Articles