Robust reporting/monitoring using syslog

2024-05-22 23:26:17
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi, 

I need to create a new internet access point while (a) monitoring all traffic flowing through it, all of it and (b) being able to understand data consumption (not bandwith, but usage proper, e.g. 5gb/specified time period/user). I considered using the TL R605, but I am not sure if it meets both requirements. I tried learning more about their monitoring/reporting capabilities but the inforamtion posted on this website is not specific enough? Is this model capable of doing (a) and (b)? If not, which model is capable of doing so?  Thank you

Options
3 Reply
Re:Robust reporting/monitoring using syslog
2024-05-23 01:08:17

Hi @JDPotter 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Summarize what you described in both expectations, the first one should be DPI. We support this feature now. You may take a look at it: How to Set Up Deep Packet Inspection(DPI) on Omada Router

The second one sounds like a traffic count. Is that correct? We can do that as well. Client traffic can be counted in standalone as well.

Note that the ER605 is recommended to support 60 to 100 clients.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-05-24 21:34:20

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your response, Clive. Very helpful. A few quick follow ups, 

a) When you mention the "Omada Router", is that a specific model or does that apply to all routers? is this something that comes with the ER-605 router or is that a separate service that I would need to purchase? Would the ER-605 be able to do it as a stand-alone?

b) I believe that the solution you point out (e.g. DPI) would solve the first part of my use case requirement, namely, to measure the net amount of data used per user. If that is the case, can you specify the time-frame? What is the time unit on it (e.g. you can see a user has 347.67MB, is that on a given day, week?...)

c) My second requirement is simply to be able to see all the traffic that flows per user (e.g. all the IP calls out and in that are made to and from a user). Is this something the ER-605 would be able to do or would I need additional software? by "all traffic" I mean every bit that is associated to each user. 

Thank you so much for the information. I look forward to using TP-Link products going forward

Options
2024-05-25 12:29:38

Hi  @JDPotter 

JDPotter wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you for your response, Clive. Very helpful. A few quick follow ups, 

a) When you mention the "Omada Router", is that a specific model or does that apply to all routers? is this something that comes with the ER-605 router or is that a separate service that I would need to purchase? Would the ER-605 be able to do it as a stand-alone?

b) I believe that the solution you point out (e.g. DPI) would solve the first part of my use case requirement, namely, to measure the net amount of data used per user. If that is the case, can you specify the time-frame? What is the time unit on it (e.g. you can see a user has 347.67MB, is that on a given day, week?...)

c) My second requirement is simply to be able to see all the traffic that flows per user (e.g. all the IP calls out and in that are made to and from a user). Is this something the ER-605 would be able to do or would I need additional software? by "all traffic" I mean every bit that is associated to each user. 

Thank you so much for the information. I look forward to using TP-Link products going forward

A. DPI is available on the dedicated rotuers. Most models support it now. ER605 V2 has been supported.

We do not charge a specific function. If a service requires the cloud, that might come with a fee.

B. You can set a filter to monitor the usage. The picture I showed is the data it has been connected to the network.

C.Call out from a user, we cannot do that. We cannot monitor where the traffic it goes. This might violates the laws of the privacy. I don't think we can do this and so does other vendors. 

You can mirror the port to Wireshark and find out what's been going on. But this is different.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 174

Replies: 3

Related Articles