Unable to configure OpenVPN on ER605v1

2024-05-27 11:25:31 - last edited 2024-05-28 01:26:20
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.1 Build 20231207 Rel.61384

Hi! Newcomer to OMADA as well as to the forums :)

I'm using the ER605v1 in a home environment. I bought the ER605v1 despite having an ISP issued Huawei Modem/Router/WAP (Combo) because A) I wanted it to act as my OpenVPN server and B) I wanted to get a second internet connection so I can use both in conjunction to provide better uptime for my Synology NAS and I believe Load Balancing can accomplish this.

I do not own an OMADA controller, software or hardware. I tried using the Cloud SDN just to see how things work but was unable to configure that either. I'm happy to buy an OC200 if that is what I need to get this working as I need it to. I haven't made the purchase yet as there's clearly a huge gap in my understanding and I don't know if I can get by without it.

I haven't looked into B) yet, but I was trying to configure A). I followed this guide: How to Configure TP-Link Omada Gateway as OpenVPN Server on Standalone Mode. When I try to connect to the Server, the connection times out. By my understanding, I'm facing two problems.

1) Port 1194 is not visible to Open Port Check Tool -- Verify Port Forwarding on Your Router (canyouseeme.org). I cannot ascertain why this is. I have Ports 80 and 443 forwarded from my NAS and they work flawlessly. I have over a dozen services routed through reverse proxy on Port 443 and they're working just fine. They're all routed from NAS > ER605 > Huawei. But when I forward the port 1194 for UDP via my Router in precisely the same manner, it just doesn't work. There are no firewalls blocking my path, unless my ISP has chosen to block specifically 1194 for some weird reason. What are some steps I can take to troubleshoot and resolve this?

2) When I export the OpenVPN config file, the IP it uses is 192.168.1.2. This is because that is the "External IP" my ISP provided Huawei router's DHCP server has given the ER605. I am aware of this and have forwarded 1194 (and other ports) on my Huawei router as well. My understanding is that if I simply replace the IP with my ISP provided static IP, I should be connectable. Is this the case or am I missing something?

One last thing worth noting is that I upgraded my firmware from build 1.0.1 just today.

Will buying an OC200 solve some of my issues for me?

Thank you!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Unable to configure OpenVPN on ER605v1
2024-05-28 01:26:05

Hi @Host2646 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Controller is not necessary and you can try out the software controller before you actually get one.

On ER605 you don't have to port forward if you plan to use the 605 as the OVPN server. You have to port forward the ER605 WAN IP on the Huawei.

But if you need to get your NAS visible on the Internet, port forward on ER605, and port forward on modem router.

Virtual Services(Port Forwarding) on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

If you are gonna use 443, make sure 443 is not used on both 605 and Huawei.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 225

Replies: 1

Related Articles