ER605 VPN Router and 2 ISP's Wifi clients not accessible to each other
ER605 VPN Router and 2 ISP's Wifi clients not accessible to each other
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

My Current Network Infrastructure:

WiFi Clients <- ISP 1 -> (WAN) ER605 (WAN) <- ISP2  ->  WiFi Clients                        

|

UnManaged Gigabit Switch

| 

LAN Clients

I have got a TP Link ER605 VPN Router, and have hooked up two different ISP's with different WAN Ports. One Primary and other for Backup.

Each ISP has its own Router with DHCP Server.

Router 1: IP Starts 192.168.29.1

Router 2: IP Starts 192.168.1.1

Everything is working great Line Balancing works very well as of now.

Now the problem is before i bought ER605 i had few wireless devices / cameras connected to Router 1 and Router 2 now since i've connected both to WAN ports of ER605 i expect i can access both Router's wifi clients on any one network, correct? 

Some of the LAN devices have assigned IP range of ER605 (192.168.0.xx) those ER605 assigned devices cannot access the wifi cameras assigned on router 1. 

What could be the issue? 

Should i buy a new wifi router, connect it to LAN on ER605 and WAN on Wifi Router and configure the new router as AP (Access point) and then add wifi cameras to that wifi? And then will keep wifi channels turned off for both ISP Routers? 

Will this work?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER605 VPN Router and 2 ISP's Wifi clients not accessible to each other-Solution

Hi @Ten_TP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Port forward your camera on router 1.

Based on the question you asked here, you should take a look at the concept of NAT.

The problem here is about the NAT and you cannot bypass that unless you port forward. Or connect the camera to the wireless from the ER605 LAN.

Second, you should try to avoid double NAT. If possible, you should set them into bridge mode.

The last question is correct. You should get an AP or set the router to AP mode if possible and connect it to the ER605.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 VPN Router and 2 ISP's Wifi clients not accessible to each other-Solution

Hi @Ten_TP 

Ten_TP wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for a Quick Revert! 

1. I will go with the last option as the ISP supplied router doesn't have AP Mode and Bridge Mode. 

2. I'm planning to purchase TP-Link Archer AX23 AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router. It supports AP mode right? 

3. Correct me if i'm wrong, getting a Archer AX23 Router will be better choice for wireless devices for uninterrupted network connection in case one of the ISP goes down / ISP Router Crashes. Right? 

For the second point, please contact the technical support for this query. Please ring the hoem support number as this is a home model. Usually, as I recall they should support that.

You may also take a look at its product page if it specifies the working mode of it.

Third point, it is about the ER605 if it can load balance between your two WANs. It is not a matter of the Archer router. It simply functions as an AP so that means it has nothing to do with the load balance.

As long as the Load Balance is properly set, you will be balanced. Common Questions About the Load Balancing, Link Backup(Failover) & Online Detection

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply

Hi @Ten_TP 

Port forward your camera on router 1.

Based on the question you asked here, you should take a look at the concept of NAT.

The problem here is about the NAT and you cannot bypass that unless you port forward. Or connect the camera to the wireless from the ER605 LAN.

Second, you should try to avoid double NAT. If possible, you should set them into bridge mode.

The last question is correct. You should get an AP or set the router to AP mode if possible and connect it to the ER605.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER605 VPN Router and 2 ISP's Wifi clients not accessible to each other
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

1. I will go with the last option as the ISP supplied router doesn't have AP Mode and Bridge Mode. 

2. I'm planning to purchase TP-Link Archer AX23 AX1800 Dual-Band Wi-Fi 6 Router. It supports AP mode right? 

3. Correct me if i'm wrong, getting a Archer AX23 Router will be better choice for wireless devices for uninterrupted network connection in case one of the ISP goes down / ISP Router Crashes. Right? 

Options

Hi @Ten_TP 

Ten_TP wrote

@Clive_A 

For the second point, please contact the technical support for this query. Please ring the hoem support number as this is a home model. Usually, as I recall they should support that.

You may also take a look at its product page if it specifies the working mode of it.

Third point, it is about the ER605 if it can load balance between your two WANs. It is not a matter of the Archer router. It simply functions as an AP so that means it has nothing to do with the load balance.

As long as the Load Balance is properly set, you will be balanced. Common Questions About the Load Balancing, Link Backup(Failover) & Online Detection

Recommended Solution
Options

@Clive_A 

Hi, 

It worked, i now have 3 WAN Connections and One AX23 Access Point. But i have another problem now. 

1. Fiber (WAN)

2. Fiber (WAN2)

3. 3G/4G Modem (Backup WAN) 

So, i have set a Link Backup where Primary WAN's are (WAN) / (WAN2) and Backup WAN is TP Link 3G/4G Modem, and Failover Policy is Failover(Enable Backup link when all Primary WANs Fail). I have setup Policy Routing for WAN, to forcefully use WAN Connection as i have got good speeds 1GBPS on this particular connection. And Load Balancing is enabled, as it is required for failover to function

When all WANs are connected, WAN and WAN2 are labelled Online and Backup WAN is labelled Offline under Online Detection, this is correct. But, when i disconnect (Turn OFF (WAN) Modem) it should technically switch over to WAN2) it does but i have not internet access on LAN some not all Connected Devices via LAN and some Wifi (AP) connected devices. Now, still the Backup WAN is Offline. Now i disconnect (Turn OFF (WAN2) Modem and its Switches to Backup WAN and all the internet connections are restored. Then When i turn ON all the WANs it directly switches to Primary WAN. 

It was working a day before, now it doesnt. 

I don't understand why some devices over same network have internet access and others don't. I did lot of settings and troubleshooting and community search, i didn't find any answer / solution for this issue.

Please guide me on this!

Thanks

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @Ten_TP 

Ten_TP wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi, 

It worked, i now have 3 WAN Connections and One AX23 Access Point. But i have another problem now. 

1. Fiber (WAN)

2. Fiber (WAN2)

3. 3G/4G Modem (Backup WAN) 

So, i have set a Link Backup where Primary WAN's are (WAN) / (WAN2) and Backup WAN is TP Link 3G/4G Modem, and Failover Policy is Failover(Enable Backup link when all Primary WANs Fail). I have setup Policy Routing for WAN, to forcefully use WAN Connection as i have got good speeds 1GBPS on this particular connection. And Load Balancing is enabled, as it is required for failover to function

When all WANs are connected, WAN and WAN2 are labelled Online and Backup WAN is labelled Offline under Online Detection, this is correct. But, when i disconnect (Turn OFF (WAN) Modem) it should technically switch over to WAN2) it does but i have not internet access on LAN some not all Connected Devices via LAN and some Wifi (AP) connected devices. Now, still the Backup WAN is Offline. Now i disconnect (Turn OFF (WAN2) Modem and its Switches to Backup WAN and all the internet connections are restored. Then When i turn ON all the WANs it directly switches to Primary WAN. 

It was working a day before, now it doesnt. 

I don't understand why some devices over same network have internet access and others don't. I did lot of settings and troubleshooting and community search, i didn't find any answer / solution for this issue.

Please guide me on this!

Thanks

You don't have Internet when it is switched, it is more like a problem with your ISP router. You should take a look at it and check the Internet from its ports.

I cannot give you any specific solutions based on the current description. Please be specific about the devices that "work" and "don't work". What IP and DNS and related stuff do they get from the router?

Please note that the description of the symptom does not make any specific direction in troubleshooting. It is now still blind guessing. If you are not capable of troubleshooting, please list what you know from the devices. As you wrote that you have diagnosed yourself, what were the steps and results of your self-trying?

Options
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the revert, 

The ISP router is only a WAN Router and not WiFi. So clients are connected to Access Point AX23 and the DHCP Server is running on ER605.

AX23 (AP) is connected to LAN Port on ER605 and Also the LAN Clients are Connected to a TP Link Gigabit Switch which is also connected to ER605 LAN. 

For the troubleshooting purpose when this failover happens and i get into the scenario of Limited Internet connection to the devices as mentioned earlier, i plugged in a LAN Cable to ISP WAN Router and connected to a computer to check whether the internet connection is working, it did work. But at the same time it didn't work on ER605 LAN / AP (ONLY FEW DEVICES RECEIVE INTERNET CONNECTION ON BOTH LAN AND WIFI)

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @Ten_TP 

Ten_TP wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for the revert, 

The ISP router is only a WAN Router and not WiFi. So clients are connected to Access Point AX23 and the DHCP Server is running on ER605.

AX23 (AP) is connected to LAN Port on ER605 and Also the LAN Clients are Connected to a TP Link Gigabit Switch which is also connected to ER605 LAN. 

For the troubleshooting purpose when this failover happens and i get into the scenario of Limited Internet connection to the devices as mentioned earlier, i plugged in a LAN Cable to ISP WAN Router and connected to a computer to check whether the internet connection is working, it did work. But at the same time it didn't work on ER605 LAN / AP (ONLY FEW DEVICES RECEIVE INTERNET CONNECTION ON BOTH LAN AND WIFI)

What are the IPs you get from the devices that "work" and "don't work"?

What's the ping result from them when you ping the LAN gateway IP and a public DNS server?

What are the DNS servers on your WAN ports?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 215

Replies: 7

Related Articles