EAP 772 gets extremely hot under light load
EAP 772 gets extremely hot under light load
2024-06-27 12:21:13 - last edited 2024-08-16 09:46:06
Tags: #Wi-Fi 7 #EAP
Model: EAP772  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13 Build 20240402 Rel. 83986

Hi,

I just received my EAP772 access point. First I had some trouble getting it adopted but after a factory reset it worked fine.

However, even under very light load (4 - 5 clients) it gets extremely hot. Not sure if related to the temperature but it also started re-adopting in my controller several times yesterday. I didn't want to leave it running overnight because of the heat, I hooked it up about 2 hours ago and so far it seems to be running without readopting (but that also happened after a few hours yesterday). The temperature seems to be quite high again however.

Anyone else have the same experience with this type of access point? 

Kind regards

Wesley 

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP 772 gets extremely hot under light load-Solution
2024-08-16 09:40:22 - last edited 2024-08-16 09:46:06

@SirBloodsALot 

Here are some ideas for running the device properly when powered by the PoE switch; additionally, it is recommended that you power the unit via the DC adapter.

1. Appropriate reduction of supply voltage can optimize the efficiency to a certain extent 
 If the PSE equipment can directly adjust the power supply voltage, you can try to reduce the power supply voltage to about 45V.
 You can use a lower voltage power supply for PSE.

You can try to use a longer cable to power the EAP772v1.
2. Reducing the number of low-rate packets in the communication can optimize the power consumption and temperature performance.
 Configure the prototype to operate on a lower noise channel.
 Place frequently used client devices closer to the prototype / vice versa.
 For networking, you can use the automatic channel & power deployment function to optimize the channel & power configuration.
3. Sacrifice some performance to directly reduce overall power consumption:
 Fix the PSE port rate to 1Gbps.
 Reduce the wireless transmit power, reduce 3dB can be, if more will have a greater impact on the performance and the impact on the overall power consumption of the machine has a marginal effect
 Directly turn off unused wireless bands

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:EAP 772 gets extremely hot under light load
2024-06-27 14:09:27

Keeps reconnecting after a while. Will just return this and wait until a quality Wifi7 AP comes along.

Options
2024-06-28 02:29:31

@WesleyB 

xD. should be normal.

know this:

10G SFP,

10G RJ45,

wifi7.

they are all "hot potato". not to mention eap are plastic-ware, unlike some nic where they have fans or contain metal parts to dissipate. 

you gotta add some extra fans to them. that's why I ruled out 10G stuff on my server as I don't wanna heat it up and bring up my ambient temp. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2024-06-28 06:55:43 - last edited 2024-06-28 07:07:52

@WesleyB 

May I ask how you power it? Do you use PoE switches? We are currently not receiving feedback regarding the extremely hot issue.If you still wish to keep it, we will give your case our full attention and assist you in figuring out the heat issue. Do you have any clients with high throughput, and could you kindly confirm whether the clients negotiate at wifi7?Kindly provide the model number of your clients. In addition, to better follow up on the issue, we'd like to create a ticket via your registered email address.Please pay attention to your inbox. The ticket ID is TKID240652882.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-07-02 13:56:55

@Hank21 Thanks for the response. It was powered by a TP-Link Switch over PoE but I also tried powering it using an adapter. All low throughput clients connected at the time of the issue (about 5 Shelly Smart Plugs, an iPhone and an iPad that were pretty much idle. No clients currently capable of Wifi7 and the 6Ghz band was idle. And I am talking really hot - as in almost too hot to touch at the bottom of the AP.  

I decided to return the access point. If I already have issues from day one, I prefer to not take the risk of having additional issues later on. 

For now, I will wait until better quality Wifi7 access points hit the market. But thanks for taking the time to reply and opening a ticket. 

Happy to provide any additional input for your research if it helps improve the experience in the future.

Options
2024-08-13 18:42:05

@WesleyB 

Same problem here: Have the EAP772 for a week now, the last days all clients loose the connection more often all couple of hours but reconnect after some minutes. And today we have one of the hottest sommer days, the EAP lost the connection permanently. I had to power of and it took a while until it were adopted again.

I'm using a Omada TL-SG2210P POE+ Switch.

Options
Re:EAP 772 gets extremely hot under light load-Solution
2024-08-16 09:40:22 - last edited 2024-08-16 09:46:06

@SirBloodsALot 

Here are some ideas for running the device properly when powered by the PoE switch; additionally, it is recommended that you power the unit via the DC adapter.

1. Appropriate reduction of supply voltage can optimize the efficiency to a certain extent 
 If the PSE equipment can directly adjust the power supply voltage, you can try to reduce the power supply voltage to about 45V.
 You can use a lower voltage power supply for PSE.

You can try to use a longer cable to power the EAP772v1.
2. Reducing the number of low-rate packets in the communication can optimize the power consumption and temperature performance.
 Configure the prototype to operate on a lower noise channel.
 Place frequently used client devices closer to the prototype / vice versa.
 For networking, you can use the automatic channel & power deployment function to optimize the channel & power configuration.
3. Sacrifice some performance to directly reduce overall power consumption:
 Fix the PSE port rate to 1Gbps.
 Reduce the wireless transmit power, reduce 3dB can be, if more will have a greater impact on the performance and the impact on the overall power consumption of the machine has a marginal effect
 Directly turn off unused wireless bands

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 576

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles